The Politics Thread

• Members

Of the political stuff that stresses me out, the idea of that convention made my blood run cold. I heard about some of what they had planned for the Constitution: heartbeat amendments, a gutting of church/state separation, corporate personhood enshrined, raising the voting age, etc... This country as we know it would cease to exist.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Which is REALLY good, I think.  But you know what I think is the greatest lesson to be learned from this past week (aside from the fact that -- win or lose -- Beto, Stacey and Andrew have now made their respective states more competitive ones for Democrats)?  Ballot initiatives, ballot measures, referendums, state questions and propositions -- passing (or not passing) those, and not simply relying on judicial reviews to go our way, are what's going to help cement more progressive legislation at the state and local levels.  If you don't believe me, look at the passage of Amendment 4 in FL, or the really janky state questions that (praise God) were voted down here in OK.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

You know, I will never understand why 18-year-olds are old enough to vote and serve our country in the armed forces, but not old enough to gamble or get their drink on Friday nights at the Bada Bing.

(sigh)

This country.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Well, it certainly did reduce the amount of drunk driving going on.  I'm not saying it's good to send 18 year olds off to war, but I'd rather have them trying to kill our enemies in a war, then kill me on the highway.

https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-alcohol-news/drunk-driving-crashes-reduced-since-drinking-age-was-raised-to-21-study/

• Members

You know...people like Rick Scott are going to look really stupid if/when they do the recounts and it actually favors them.  I mean, what are they going to say then, after accusing just about everyone and their cousin of "rampant fraud"?  "Never mind"?

Instead of turning this into another, alleged conspiracy from liberals, why not instead show some class and say, "I agree with my opponent(s), the citizens of Florida deserve to have every vote counted"?

Perhaps, it's because...there's still a chance for things NOT to go their way?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Good point.  But *my* point was, why not go ahead and raise the voting age to 21 as well?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

Those are really important items and are overlooked by those only focusing on races. Texas is likely now working on solidifying and building their ground game for 2020 and hopefully getting more democratic precinct captains and committee people elected across the state. The same applies to states like Georgia and hopefully Florida. I keep hearing even now how terrible the democratic ground game is in Florida and seriously WHY still?

I would say one of the items people in red states should focus on are redistricting referendums.Taking that role out of the hands of those in power and making it either computer driven or done by a bipartisan commission. I'd like to see it here in Illinois but not until I see some red state folks taking that initiative first. Wisconsin would be a good starting point as would Kansas.

• Members

Frankly, Julia, I'm not entirely sure of the benefits either.  But, if our present society says you are too young and immature at age 18 to be trusted to "drink responsibly," why don't we go further and say you're too young and immature to be trusted to vote responsibly as well?

By the way, these are only questions that I'm asking.  I want to apologize and correct myself if I look as if I am actively advocating for raising the voting age or lowering the drinking one.

Edited by Khan