The Politics Thread

• Members

Please don't let this man run for President.  The homeless population in this country will explode as it did in NYC with him as mayor.

Why won't the GOP leave the Obamas alone?

Please register in order to view this content

I guess no need to hide their incredible wellspring of racist bile.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'll be honest: from now on, as long as they aren't TOO heinous (in which case, I guess I'll have to "throw away my vote" and vote third party?), I'm voting for anyone with a (D) next to his or her name.  Even if it's lousy, slap-the-soda-oucha-hands Michael Bloomberg.

But, I think you said so yourself: if Bloomberg were to end up as the Democratic nominee, then we might as well settle in for another four years of TrumpWorld.

IKR?  The man is out of office, people!  Stop blaming him for [!@#$%^&*] and leave him and his family the hell alone!

There are times when I wish we never have another non-Caucasian president.  Because, honestly, what brutha (or sistah) should subject themselves to such abuse?  You have to really, REALLY love this country to want to run after seeing how the Obamas continue to be treated.

Not that I believe it'll happen, too, but I'd really love to see Wheeler given the Scott Pruitt treatment for liking that photo.  Everything else that goes on at Trump House becomes a front-page scandal, why shouldn't this be one, too?  That jackass.

Edited by Khan

• Members

He and Trump have more similarities than you think.  They are both advocates for Stop and Frisk, a policy that had torn asunder civil rights for Black and brown men in, particular in NYC with negligible results on the crime rate.  Bloomberg tried scare tactics to leave the policy in place, claiming gun crime would escalate.

DeBlasio, for all his faults, did the right thing in stripping the Stop and Frisk policy and letting judge Shira Sheindlin (no relation to Judge Judy) deem Stop and Frisk unconstitutional, letting it die and rightfully so.

And guess what?  Crime (with the exception of sexual assault which is not normally connected to guns anyway) continued to decline without Stop and Frisk.

With Bloomberg, you ought to be careful what you wish for:  it's not just about soda and "nanny tactics", it is also about his blatant disregard for working and middle class, his billionaire friendly policies and his lack of care, in terms tracking foreign "dark money" moving real estate (of which Trump was a beneficiary).  Don't expect him to be an advocate for eliminating dark money from politics.

But hey, Central Park looks great, huh?

• Members

"LOCK! HER! UP!

LOCK! HER! UP!"

Seriously, I am soooooo over the Trump supporters' fetish for women and minorities in cages.

But, let's say that it does come down in 2020 to him and Trump.  What do I do?

Do I stay home?  I did that last election.  So did a lot of other people.  That's one reason why we're in the mess that we're in.

Do I vote third party?  I think that's another reason why Trump sits in the Oval Office today.  Too many Susan Sarandons felt Hillary would be just as bad as Trump, if not worse, and still do.  Plus, if I'm being perfect and frank, I think voting third party is essentially throwing away your vote.

I hear what you're saying about Bloomberg, and I totally agree.  But I know I wouldn't want another four years of Trump either.

So, again, what do I do?

Edited by Khan

• Members

Bloomberg believes in Climate Change

Bloomberg has been the primary funder for Everytown and Moms Demand Action

There are many policies I would hate but I hope he learned from Stop and Frisk,  My worry would be he might lead to someone after worse than Trump. A lot of these folks are not acknowledging this is a worldwide problem and their own economic policies partially contributed to it. Unless he's like an FDR who turns his back on his own class to put programs and policies in place to actually help the little guy, I can see this being revisiting in 2024 if Bloomberg were to run and win in 2020,

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I would hope like hell that Americans are smarter than to let the presidential race get down to two 70something billionaire white guys.  By then, we'd already be in trouble. 

Don't assume Bloomberg has learned anything from Stop and Frisk but should he try to promote that, he would likely lose most of the Black and Latino vote of anyone under the age of forty, chief among them Black women (funny how Black women stand up for everyone else's rights while we get nothing in return).

Also, don't assume that Bloomberg would mount a strong defense of women's rights either, given some of the statements that revealed about him when he mounted his mayoral campaign.  Although sadly, many Americans have proven that they are willing to vote in a man who doesn't care about women's rights.

When so-called businessmen take over the U.S. economy, the result is almost always a recession in the making.

• Members

If it were up to me we would never have another billionaire president. People with that kind of money have no idea how the rest of us live.  Sure, there are a few exceptions, but overall, no thank you. 

I don't really think we have even come close to leaning the lesson of not idolizing the rich.  Nevertheless, I would take Bloomberg in a heartbeat. At least he can string coherent sentence together and probably wouldn't put children under 5 in internment camps. The bar is very, very low.

And yes, although I don't relish Kerry or Biden as candidates, I would also take them over Bloomberg.  Kerry is also a billionaire, but at least he's spent his life in public service.