The Politics Thread

• Members

No doubt, the usual suspects will spin this to say, "What a great sense of humor he has!," and "Just LOVE how our president can let everything roll off his back!," and "How DARE those gutter snipes at the U.N. question the brilliant progress this administration has made in just two years!".

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We've been here since W. Even Obama, who always behaved with grace and intelligence, was treated to abuse that no President had ever faced from other countries in recent times. Trump mostly just makes it more overt, but the one bright spot of the humiliation is now people know what our place in the world has been and will be from now on.

• Members

Never forget that the abuse that Obama experienced had to do with the color of his skin.  If you look at the coverage on RT during his years in office, it was very racist. Aspects of Putin's Russia had outright racial animosity toward Obama.  If you saw the article on how Russia now courts Afrikaners to move to Russia, you should have a decent idea of just how deeply this animosity runs. African students are routinely beaten and killed in Russia.

China also had racial antipathy at the outset toward Obama in the beginning.  Things changed somewhat when Xi Jinping arrived because Obama, having been in office when Xi arrived, had a bit more seniority in the position.

At first, China was relieved when Trump got elected, believing that they could have a purely transaction relationship with the U.S. with no demands for adherence to the conventions for human rights, etc.  I have to wonder now whether China now feels that their relationship with the U.S. is more or less demanding than it was with the previous administration.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yep.

Imagine if what had happened to Grover Cleveland -- namely, the discovery of an illegitimate child -- had happened to Obama as well.  Even if he had still been elected, there would have been no END to the "baby daddy"/"baby mama" cracks.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That's why I said Trump just makes it more overt. Our global standing dramatically slid around 2002 or 2003, with a President who not only didn't even bother to learn proper names and could barely hide his disdain for the world around him, but who was involved in war efforts that were soon revealed as being built on lies, lies that killed countless people. And then we had Obama, who, yes, was mostly hated and mocked because of racism. Now we have Trump. 

The world order has moved further and further away from us over the last few decades and I am just hoping the one positive in the damage Trump has done is that these issues have finally gotten too obvious to be ignored or papered over. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

But wait...years ago, remember when that woman was shot when she tried to crash her car onto the White House lawn?  She had a baby inside who was unhurt?  There were conspiracy nuts online trying to insinuate that she was chasing down President Obama for child support, so some such nonsense.  Forget about the fact that there was a father for the baby at home who got custody of the child.

There were no personal scandals for Obama but that didn't mean that people wouldn't try to make up some.

• Members

Wow, I cannot believe Trump actually had the nerve to say something like that in such a forumas the U.N. I know that his supporters inside the U.S believe everything he says, but surely he can't be so deluded to think that the rest of the world does that? I've never met or spoken to a single person here who has any respect at all for him or his presidency. He's a laughing-stock here, nothing more and nothing less.

• Members

He's one of the most deluded people I've ever seen. He's so deluded that many think it is an act, which is one of the reasons he was elected. "Intelligent" people up high who should have worked harder to stop his winning assumed they could control him. They were wrong. 

• Members

I remember Paul Ryan and his "A Better Way" agenda and said he knew Trump needed a plan for his agenda - one of the reasons Ryan put this together. Obviously this ridiculous tax cut was part of it but Trump didn't help support it due to Paul Ryan's agenda, he's transactional and knew it would help himself. He could care less about Ryan's agenda or the garbage that was in it.

I credit you for bringing up the US diminished role in the so called "world order". Bush made us a laughing stock and joke years ago. Obama tried to restore some of our leadership, but also had a number of his own foreign policy failures.  

My liberal brother said recently with all the NATO talk what NATO is is an outdated alliance and perhaps it's no longer needed. He's no Trump supporter but maybe their should be a realignment of sorts. But I don't think he was talking about the Saudi's, Israel, or even India or anything Trump is talking about.

• Members

Wait, what?  How come I don't remember something as insane as that, lol?

Ah, yes.  I do miss the fact that the Obama years were largely free of personal scandals.  I think that's why the media laps up everything now.  For eight years, they had nothing juicy to go on about.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Because it was almost exclusively the province of right-wingnuts who used to remain mostly under their rocks.  They're the reason why I absconded from the comments section on Yahoo! as they used to flock there to post their nonsense.  Now they feel fully confident in crackpot theories being posted on Facebook and Twitter because they now have their president who will retweet their bullsh*t.

Trump loves debt so he won't care about this but this makes me think of Scott Pruitt.