The Politics Thread

• Members

I liked her apology. I like how she apologized for adding to a toxic media cycle and for undercutting the issue she obviously really cares about. I think people forget sometimes that Bee is Canadian so she looks at the immigration debate from someone who has experienced it from the inside. Not the same as the people at the border of course but she has a better grasp of the bureaucracy involved. But I really like how she said that she didn't care if men were offended. 

Please register in order to view this content

I also appreciated how she said that she's tried to reclaim the word but she understands how many women don't. I identify with that debate (because, Lord knows I've seen enough of it when it comes to black people and the n-word.) Sam has used that word many times before many because she's been called it so much. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He comes across like an old fool. I'm not sure if he was always like this.  It's like Trump has given a big chunk of people permission to show their inner loon.  It's truly disturbing.  They lie with impunity and believe there are "alternate facts". 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Frankly, whatever respect I might have held for Rudy, I lost it the day he chose to announce publicly his separation from his then-wife, Donna, without bothering to tell her first.  Seriously, what kind of asshat are you to do that even to a wife you probably couldn't stand?

• Members

Thanks for finding that, @Vee . I am mostly confused about Trump's poll numbers going up, but then I tell myself that the more he essentially just throws his [!@#$%^&*] against any wall he can find, the more desperate people likely identify with him.

I just wish that any Republican who is not heading out the exit door and has any power was actually trying to keep him in check. If we didn't have a relatively free press, there would be no checks at all.

• Members

Agree!  They're too afraid to take him on, because they don't want to alienate potential voters, so they'd rather just quit?  And you think Democrats are the snowflakes!?   Either way, you're out, so why not just enter Thunderdome and pray that the gods are with ye?

Edited by Khan

• Members

There have been numerous reports that fewer people identify as Republican. If that's true then the percentage of Trump supporters remains high because that is a portion of an ever shrinking whole. Forty-two percent of 10 is vastly different than 42 percent of 1,000.

• Members

Giuliani always came across as an a$$hole (e.g. the brutal way in which his Law & Order agenda dealt with POC) but he was able to maintain his reputation of some integrity because of his prosecutions of the mob in NYC.

I never had any respect for him.

Black and brown people caught absolute hell during his regime and working class New Yorkers lost economic ground during his mayoral years. 

I suspect the tourists loved Giuliani because he capitalized on a downward trend in crime (that had already taken effect before he became mayor) and convinced them that the city had become "safe" because of him, while he helped Disney-fy Times Square (a policy that Mario Cuomo's administration actually laid the groundwork for) . 

As someone who had lived in NYC and got to read of and see the abuses of the Giuliani regime up close, I was glad that the city would finally see him out and I knew I would never vote to elect him for any public office--not even dog catcher.

If anything surprises me, it's the level of greed and ingratiating behavior that he has exhibited.  I never knew that Giuliani could lick someone else's boots with such alacrity as he has with Trump.