The Politics Thread

• Members

Schlossberg is a perfect rebuttal to the idea that Trump's voters voted for him because of jobs or economic anxiety. This guy is an attorney in Manhattan. The very definition of a "coastal elite" and yet what set him off? The fact that he has to share space with people speaking Spanish. Just that one little reminder that he isn't the center of the universe made hm freak out.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sort of, but he was recorded. It just seems so odd that this guy is running around NYC of all places and ranting at people about speaking Spanish.  Did he start doing this when Trump was elected? Did that embolden him or has he been doing it for years and now it's news?  I probably shouldn't bother trying to understand.

• Members

Let me say right up front that I don't approve of anyone being assaulted but  he's going to insult the wrong person one day and get punched in the face. There was a woman who kept calling a black man the N-Word on a bus and he punched her.

• Members

Yeah, I suspect that as well.  There are a lot of a*ssholes out there for sure and Trump has emboldened them, but this situation doesn't quite add up.  If I did this to someone in Omaha, I would expect to be shut down verbally by a bystander,  videoed and shamed.  Is an attorney really going to do that in the middle of one of the most diverse cities in the world and not expect consequences? OK, it's midtown, but it's still NYC.

Hell, maybe we really are at the point where these folks feel they can get away with anything.  After all, 45 did. There are days when I feel like the Nazis really are rising again right in front of us and I just don't know what I can do to help stop it.

• Members

The House GOP is in a vise of their own making as the reason the farm bill failed to pass is because the far right wants a vote on an immigration bill. This was a personal kick to Paul Ryan because his precious let's punish people on welfare  material was a part of the farm bill. 

I would say the House GOP will be glad to cull the herd this election year, but most of those who lose will be moderates, so that mean the far right will have even more power. 

I agree, but with social media at least these people are being called out more. It's still not really enough - laws or protests still carry the most weight - but it means shining a light on behavior that was once the everyday without anyone knowing or caring.

• Members

Right. We are at such a weird crossroads.  Years ago when I was living in SF a Mexican American co-worker was teaching me a little Spanish.  Our boss's executive assistant came over and yelled at us for not speaking English.  We just rolled our eyes and we didn't think much of it other than "what a bitch". Now these incidents seem like terrible portents.

And this is really the worst and why I feel like the comparisons to Nazis are not that overblown.  This cannot be allowed to continue.

• Members

Don't tell me that people are actually surprised that Trump is this awful.

The people that voted for Trump knew he was this awful and voted for him because of it, provided it would never affect them.

The people who sat on their asses because Bernie didn't win the primary likely didn't care as long as someone was made to feel the pain.

Those of us who worried about the safety of marginalized people were talked down to in the most f*cking patronizing tone.

Why are people acting brand-new? Trump once took out a full-page ad calling for the execution of five teenage boys of color.

Don't tell me that people didn't see this coming?  In reality, many people really just don't care.

In fact, many people in the U.S. are just fine with it.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I can't remember if Kristof has ever been a Trump fan or not. It's hard for me to keep track because I think Kristof was a big W supporter...

I tend to think that most of the people are vocal about their disappointment were never supportive in the first place. The minority who were clearly and very stupidly thought there were people in place to control Trump, even though the GOP primaries of 2016 showed very clearly there was no longer anyone in place to control or to make important decisions. 

So often the defense of mistreatment of illegal aliens is that they are trying to get here when they shouldn't and this is what they deserve. I wonder if any of those people will say a word about refugees also being put in these places. I doubt it. 

I read an article earlier this week talking about plans that are being drawn up to put the kids in camps - I don't know how true it is as the article was poorly written.