The Politics Thread

• Members

Most of the talk I heard about with Nebraska was that a big progressive won the primary for their Congressional seat over the former rep (Ashford) and how Democrats in DC are saying they're unhappy at how moderates lost key races last night, etc. I have hard time believing Democrats will win the House (I think at best they'll pick up a few seats, maybe a dozen or so) so I wonder if this is their starting to manage expectations.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For the past few city council meetings where I'm at these MAGA people have flooded the chamber trying to get the council to "opt out" of SB-54 (the Sanctuary State law). I spoke in public comment last night and made it clear that I wasn't there to call them all racists (even if some were), but some guy after the meeting accused me of the race card and tried to argue with me. I shut him down by saying "Sweetheart, have several seats I'm not doing this with you". He didn't like the sweetheart and he walked away from me as I knew he would.

• Members

Yes. Kara Eastman was the progressive. I struggled with my choice, but Eastman came to our door and my husband promised to vote for her.

Please register in order to view this content

Probably the strategic thing to do was pick Ashford, just like the strategic thing to do in Nebraska is register Republican, so you can vote in their primary.  I wasn't able to stomach doing either of those things this time around.

• Members

From one of the articles it looks like she wasn't even supported by Berniebots as she supposed Hillary in 2016, so I guess she really did have to fight all on her own. Maybe that means she will be able to surpass expectations for November. I guess it depends on whether the DCCC is willing to go along.

• Members

^ I think we can hope that some of the Democrats in power will pay attention and hopefully try to stop it from happening again. Another reason the midterms are so important.

I don't think Americans on the whole will pay attention. Even many well intentioned people are overwhelmed with information, scandal and corruption.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Voter suppression has been going on for many many years/decades in the U.S.  It's like when people don't want to openly discuss racism or gun control...if not now, when??!

The Democrats paid attention to it in 2007/2008, (perhaps 2012) because they believed it would be used  to try to prevent the election of America's first Black president, otherwise, it has been a classic racism...er, business as usual.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

^ This story is so odd. It's Manhattan! How can you work there and not be very used to people from other cultures?

Please register in order to view this content

How did he think he was going to get away with this in the age of smart phones? Is he vying for a job with Fox? Anyway, let him pay the price for threatening to call the Gesta...ICE. People need to be shamed for trying to scare people in such an evil way.

Ironic, but not accidental. I doubt folks around here will heed the message though.  It's all about abortion in these parts.