Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Some say that's because they hold elections on a workday rather than give people that day off or hold elections during the weekends.  Others (who are more cynical) say it's because everyone in politics is dirty and that no matter WHO wins the election, they'll never truly represent the people who put them into office.

Me?  I'll admit that I stayed away from voting was because I didn't want to be called into jury duty.

Okay, what's going on with Sean Hannity?  None of his Twitter feeds make any sense without some context.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Someday I'll tell my Brooklyn jury duty story which, amazingly, involved an actual video reenactment of the creation of the codes of Hammurabi playing in the middle of City Hall.

tl;dr: Go do it. You'll most likely be cut at the first selection process, just as I was by a defendant's lawyer who openly mistook me for a hippie looking to 'stick it to the Man'.

• Members

It is true that when voter participation is low, it tends to benefit the Republican candidates. Voter suppression and apathy are two big reasons for low turnout.

This Politico article suggests that ideas on Soviet cultivation of Trump went back all the way to the 1980s before his first visit to Moscow (1987).

The Hidden History of Trump’s First Trip to Moscow

• Members

I would agree with your points on voting. I do think we need to focus more on turnout. If we could get turnout regularly around 60 to 65 percent suppression would not matter. Once we were in power we could then get voting rights legislation back in place.virginia having that higher turnout in an off year election is one reason Dems are closer to having an ever split in the house of delegates even with the intense gerrymandering in VA. Now that Dems have the Governors mansion there, there should be a fair redistricting that happens in 2020.

OT

@Khan this is quite something from your home state.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/361073-former-oklahoma-state-senator-pleads-guilty-to-child-sex

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

The fixation on the Clintons is pretty much a national sickness. I was talking to some millennials who started reciting all the debunked Clinton stuff and I realized there's an entire generation of Americans who have never known a society that wasn't awash in Clinton hate. Just like Chris Hayes' stupid ass saying that given all these stories about sexual harassment it's time for the left to "reckon with" Bill Clinton. I'm sorry but I lived through MonicaGate. It was nonstop reckoning. Day after day in the news, night after night on the talk shows, for years. Linda Tripp, the Starr report, the blue dress, the cigar, etc...there was nowhere to get away from it.

The truth is a whole media industry grew up around hating on the Clintons.