The Politics Thread

• Members

TMZ is mostly gossip trash. It's just rancid and not even the pseudo-intelligent cauldron of pretense that the alt types like to stand around. Most of those people are just white noise. It's good for distracting from real issues but in terms of creating any actual movement I'd be surprised if anyone who reads it that often even votes. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

This post hit my black humor funny bone. 

I'm going to read up more today on the North Korea situation. I imagine they have a small bomb that would hit California, so most of us would survive (cancer rates would obviously go way up), but it would kill millions and screw the world economy.  Then we absolutely would hit back with our full force and kill even more millions. That would probably happen no matter who is in charge, but given 45 and the Republicans are, I wouldn't expect any mercy.  China would stand by and see at least one problem solved, if not two (Can't believe their would be many refugees after Trump is done). Not because I think they really want to see the world economy tank, but if it does they might emerge as the world's economic power in the long term. From what I've read China is much better at taking the long view then we are.

• Members

When I was in elementary school, we read the Declaration of Independence. We also had to memorize and recite the Preamble for a school assembly.

That people wouldn't recognize it strikes me as somewhat unnerving, even more unnerving is that these people vote. Ironically these people are usually the very same ones who want to suppress the rights of others, screaming about 'voter fraud'.

Speaking of voting irregularities...

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

They probably don't in most cases. Never underestimate how uneducated the American public is. Personally I find that comforting from a certain perspective.  We would certainly all be better off if we had a more educated population. However, when I see some of the ignorance coming out of people's mouths, I'm glad to know there is (often) a reason for it other than people are awful.

Also, you learned the DI in elementary school  it was probably reinforced many times in your life, both in college and your own reading. Only 25% (or so) of our population graduates college. There is still a sizable amount that doesn't even graduate high school. A lot of these people don't have the time or ability to do extensive reading when they get home from physically demanding jobs. Now I'm off on a tangent, but one of the things I'm most grateful of is the time for intellectual pursuits. It's a luxury not that many people have. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I hear ya @Juliajms

Still, I think of my Mom who worked in a factor for over twenty years, got her citizenship in the '90s yet she recognizes the Declaration of Independence and knows the three branches of government. Probably because she had to study the for the citizenship test--I remember quizzing her on questions related to civics.

When I used to commute for two hours on a train, I used to see people read, books, even the Bible. I cannot help but think that when people really want to learn about something, there's very little to stop them but the desire has to be there, I guess.

• Members

I agree up to a point, but intellectual ability plays a part. Also during the summer one year I worked as grocery checker. Might feet hurt so badly after, I was just grateful to rest after work and I was 19. I wasn't in stellar shape, but not terrible either,  I can't imagine what it's like to do that kind of job in middle age, while having family responsibilities as well. Never mind something like working on a road crew or construction. 

I'm a little surprised that so many people didn't recognize the DI because you hear it on TV and the movies a fair amount. I'm not surprised that there are so many uninformed or easily manipulated people out there though.

OMG.

• Members

Truthfully, I have not been this gobsmacked by others' ignorance since Sherri Shepherd basically admitted on "The View" that she didn't know that the world was round.  Now, a public education might have its downsides, but....

Edited by Khan