Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

To remove Hannity, it's probably going to boil down to money as it did in the case of O'Reilly. People boycotting companies that advertise on Hannity's show. I was kidding about growing a conscience since I know very well that no one at that company has one.

Meanwhile, before Trump met with the Pope, apparently someone told Bannon "You don't gotta go home but you gotta get the hell outta here!" Or something of that nature.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

These are the reasons rehashing the 2016 election serves zero purpose. One can learn from it and move on without alienating people. There were 2 seats won yesterday, this one and another in New Hampshire, both held by republicans before the election, both in pro trump districts, both seats in long time GOP held districts. THis is what happens when people work together. Pelegrino's election is a perfect example of people working together. She had the backing and money from the party establishment, she was also backed by the teachers union who gave her a good pool of money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-win-two-elections_us_59250144e4b0ec129d3082d0

And I want to remind people this is not the first. Here in Illinois, there were a ton of local elections democrats won in April in areas like Elgin, Normal. Kankakee, Champaign - areas and races held by republicans in the state. This was big news here.  I helped with a local election in Berwyn where half the democratic establishment was beaten by Berwyn United members, a more progressive group. Anyone who knows about the establishment in Illinois knows what a cancer it is in some cases. Berwyn had the typical cronyism in full view and the party money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-grassroots-trump-elections_us_58efd21de4b0bb9638e270c1

When you see successes happening so soon at the local and state levels, it's very discouraging to hear many still beat the drum of failure. No one is pretending there have not been problems and still aren't, but many are working their tails off to change things. THe fact that it's happened in some cases as quickly as it has is a testament to the foot soldiers making it happen.

• Members

An article about how increasingly difficult it's become for anyone to react to negative campaigning.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/trump-montana-mudslinging-special-election-238749

I think this is somewhat untrue, it mostly just depends on the campaign and the ads and research/hit pieces used, but I can believe some of it. I remember seeing the pro-Hillary ad late in the campaign that was nothing but Trump clips. It gave me a sick feeling in my stomach because I knew it would desensitize people to him. And it did. 

• Members

It is and the medium income there is something like 150k

About some key wins yesterday

Pellegrino won because she had universal democratic support(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) and is a young teacher against common core, something that likely resonates with people from that area.

Trump won the district by 60 - she won with 58%.

• Members

The Working Families Party has become a force to be reckoned with in the Northeast over the past decade, so I can see this happening, even in L.I.

Trump continues his gaffes and moments to flop oversees, I see.

Speaking of flops, I have also been reading about the fallout from the Trump budget (that Trump promptly escaped from by being oversees) and the fact that no one actually likes this turkey. Most Congressional GOP members' responses have ranged from the non-committal or terse and a few down-right hostile. Paul Ryan promptly said that he and Congress plan to do what they've done through other administrations, which is work on their own version. (sound familiar?  Many GOP Senators said something similar about the atrocious AHCA bill that the House passed after many admitted it was DOA in the Senate).

One of the most common complaints is that the budget plan simply makes no sense- it seems to be cost neutral to the point of functioning as a place marker but assumes that all this growth will occur over a multi-year time span.

In other words, it declares growth in various areas but doesn't identify what the costs will pay, how some of these things will be 'paid for'.  

This budget plan not making it through seems as if it will also affect the tax plan, which also seems to be a 'No-Go' .Tax cuts for the rich by adding taxes to imports seems unsustainable as the costs will most likely be passed onto the consumer, the brunt of which will be paid by the people who can least afford these extra costs. The only support this has is from companies that do a whole lot of exporting- and for them, it is built solely on a hope that their income taxes might be reduced as a result.

This is not even a definite, it is a hope! Kind of like how many of the Trump voters hoped he would be competent with fiscal policy. Guess what folks?  He really doesn't have one!  What little he has, is mostly bad.

Edited by DramatistDreamer