The Politics Thread

• Members

Lawd!  I'm eternally grateful my first response to this post didn't post. This will be me, in my totally diplomatically challenged fashion explaining that Bernie didn't beat Hillary. And Biden can say whatever tf he wants. Who loses to Donald Freaking Trump?  Russians/Comey or not?  She was crippled by a decades long, entirely unfair persecution.  But that was reality. It was a factor that the democratic establishment ignored and then engineered the party nomination for the one person almost half the country would refuse to vote for under any circumstances. Most of the country's voters bemoaned being forced to choose between the two candidates.  It's time to get over it. We have more immediate concerns. 

Yeah. That was the full measure of my diplomacy. I know it sucks. I accept my limitations. Fire away. 

According to Jon Favreau and Jon Lovett, there was a huge yelling match about the highly classified info 45 shared with Russians.  It happened within earshot of White House press. So not only did 45 "leak" info to the Russians, but then proceeded to scream much of the same classified info where the press would hear. 

I just offer a prayer for the poor Israeli who is currently undercover with ISIS who's been identified as A source for threats against the US.  

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well maybe people could get over it if others didn't keep dragging it up. I'm over the Clintons in terms of public service, but [!@#$%^&*] Chelsea Clinton can't even have a twitter account and tweet and promote her book without white male pundits coming after her telling her to go away and stop trying to run for office, something she has said now denied having an interest in at least 10 times in articles in recent months. Was this something Biden had to mention NOW, particularly after a fairly disastrous unity tour Perez and Sanders conducted. So while perhaps my post is offensive , lets all move on to a new generation of leaders.  They are out there. Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Kirstin Gillibrand, Chris Murphy, Jason Kander, Adam Schiff, Keith Ellison, Tim Ryan, Gavin Newsome. There is actually a fairly decent bench of younger democrats I'd be happy to see step up provided the older folks allow them to. If any benefit has come of this, it's allowed us to see some other folks step up.

• Members

Biden needs to sit down. I know folks have been swooning over him as VP but he has baggage that I don't feel like hearing about. Especially with the extreme left purists who are going to be going on and on about he's not a real progressive. I don't feel like hearing stuff about Anita Hill and the 1994 Crime Bill in the next cycle. 

• Members

If Russia wanted Trump, they were going to get Trump regardless of who he was running against. In 2016 their maneuver was leaking information, but it 2020 it will be actually tampering with the votes. They might actually do that in 2018 and that's something that people should be aware of. It's pretty easy to lose ballot boxes and tamper with the books at polling places, because poll workers can be easily bought off.

• Members

The issue of Net Neutrality is something that will affect all of us who comment on this board. If anyone wants to make their voices heard regarding the ominous changes that threaten to take place under Pai's regime, here is a link.

Welcome to the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System

Anyone who's not familiar with the proposed changes, it's really worth learning more about them because these changes potentially affect everyone who uses the Internet.

• Members

Do we have an extradition agreement with Vatican City?

Any discussion of 2016 that doesn't acknowledge Russian interference at this point isn't being realistic. As for Biden, I think Al Giordano sums it up best:

There is nothing to be gained by people on the left going after Hillary or Obama. For every purity prog who gets off on it, they "bern" the support of women or POC.

• Members

Surprise, surprise.  

Please register in order to view this content

It doesn't surprise me either to hear that TrumpCo. is doing everything it can to subvert Mueller.  Who knows?  They probably WILL succeed in limiting the scope of the man's powers.  After all, it wouldn't be the first time this man OR his administration made mincemeat of the rules to protect their asses.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Absolutely. People's eyes glaze over when you mention net neutrality but few people understand what it really means and how losing it will affect their lives.  Unless you're absolutely thrilled with your cable provider/ISP, please be informed. At the risk of sounding preachy or condescending, at its core, the issue is about whether or not ISPs are a utility. When you put it in that context, it becomes glaringly evident why it's such an important issue, and how far reaching the implications. Imagine if your electric company could charge you a basic rate for running your HVAC and refrigerator, but charged a premium for microwaves and cooking ranges or other electric devices. Another analogy I heard was imagine there's a toll road that charges different rates depending on the make of your vehicle -- lower rates for Mercedes or Lexus than for Ford and Chevy.