DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Members

Has anyone posted the press release? I want to see how Corday spoke about it. Probably his usual mewling, "woe is me" act.

Though I disagreed with the choice to resurrect him, I actually liked post-death, sarcastic [!@#$%^&*] John. The endless bitchy attitude towards Marlena was extremely fun.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What an [!@#$%^&*]! I have never loathed anyone in show business as much as I loathe Ken Corday! How had these actors put up with his pompous arrogant dumb ass all these years? No wonder Reilly give him his ass to kiss a few years back. I hope they cancel this show so that these talented actors and actresses can move on with their lives and get better jobs in better roles working for people who will actually appreciate their hard work!!.

• Members

Wow, how sad. I haven't had time for the boards, so I actually saw it as a news blurb on "Headline News" entertainment show.

I've watched Days maybe three times in the last few weeks. It's not only my busy schedule. I've been busy most of my adult life, and there was a time when I wouldn't miss a day of "Days". There is nothing familiar about this show anymore. Sure, the core players still appear from time to time (for now), but the life has finally drained out of this show. I've watched other soaps, but I haven't loved another soap like Days. Looking at these firings, I remember back to the last time my mouth fell open over a couple being let go.

In the mid 80's the show cut Bill and Susan Hayes (Doug and Julie). Now, it's a blurb and no one realizes the importance of it, but back then, it symbolized the end of the golden era. That couple brought Days HUGE ratings and most equated the show with D&J during the 70's. However, even though it was a blow to us die-hard Days fans,here was a difference then.

#1) The show had found a new heroine in Marlena Evans Craig Brady. Deidre came on the show in 1976, just before Doug and Julie wed. By the mid 80's she was a superstar. She bridged the gap for most of us, inculding me. I realized she was the star, and eventually embraced her.

#2) there were new couples to root for that captivated us, and fresh blood that was talented. Bo & Hope, Shane & Kim, and Steve & Kayla gave us new reasons to watch, and their sweeping epics kept us glued.

#3) Eventaully during the Reilly era, it was Marlena once again that carried the show on her shoulders (along with Stefano). Once the supercouple era ended with Jack and Jennifer fading into the sunset, Reilly gave us s renewed focus on the shows main player. It worked because we knew her and loved her, not just because she floated over her bed. We tuned in because she levitated, we kept watching because it was Marlena. Say what you will about Reilly, but he knew who to write for!

NOW Sorry folks , there's nothing to watch for. The stories stink, the pacing's bad, and now the one familiar face that could get viewers to tune in is gone. Has Ken forgotten that Deidre Hall had the largest fan club in the world in the 1980's? Has he forgotten how fans lined the streets and stopped traffic just to get her back on screen. This isn't 1984, and it's not 1994. Those of us who are left watching this pathetic shell of a show tune in because we still care about our favorites, and if you had to fire five (5) of the younger set to equal Dee's pay, then Oh well. I would have forgiven it. None of the younger set gives us the passion or talent that Reckell and Alfonso did the last time a staple couple was shown the door. There is nothing building for this show. How sad.

When Days gets the pink slip I will come back and talk about my memories with you guys and share my thoughts, but this time I'm through. To me, Days died this week. I think that sums it up for this lifelong fan. Rest in Peace.

• Members

Then why, when they've had their extended vacations, didn't the ratings tank before, especially in 2006, when they were off two months? Personally, for me, the best Marlena years were her first years and her Don Craig years. They haven't had good stuff since, well, since I don't know when. And, personally, for me, their acting style isn't what I like.

I feel bad for the average general fan who will miss them. But, for me, I'm more upset about the crummy flip-floppy writing, the constant backstage battles and drama, and the idiocy in general of TPTB. Losing the DH's doesn't doom the show. The DH's have been off before, with no real fluctuation one way or another in the ratings. Since JER was fired, and all this flippy-floppy crap has been going on, if I had a dollar for every time I saw the phrase "final nail in the Days'

The show was doomed by poor management, hiring then firing writers before their contracts were up and then having to pay them, hiring and firing actors and re-hiring them for whatever reasons (publicity stunts like Drake's last "firing", giving in to radical fans and bringing people back, probably micromanaging the writing and storylines, etc.). The show was doomed with poor publicity, and then with NBC's lack of support. Everytime recently Days got a reprieve, it seemed to get something else whittled away. The end result is the forced 40% reduction in costs. Well, when you have two actors that (according to rumor) make about $1 mill a year, that's a nice chunk of that 40%. And if I read a headline about one more plan to save Days, I'll throw my baloney sandwich at the screen. As it is, it seems Days has been on life support since the writer's strike or before. There was real hope in the months before Hogan Sheffer. With his tussles with Corday, with the whole Ed Scott fiasco (and I liked what Ed Scott did. I just think those were two bullheaded brats put together), the writer's strike, Dena Higley and her drama.............

And, in a way, I feel sorry for D&D because of the whole way this has been handled. But, they're so well known, they'll probably land something new very soon. They'll be a coup.

Well, I'll stop my novel, cause my daughter came home a day early for break! :D

Archived