Sedrick

THE COLBYS

The quality does look great. It seems it is following the quality of the DYNASTY releases.

BUT, like I said earlier, this is a one-off release from a show few will have interest in. It's not DYNASTY. You can't price it so literally (i.e. so much for one season? Just double it! lol). Besides, the actual price is 119. Only through some hocus pocus does it go down to 70, which is still a lot to shell out at one time. Once the promotions are gone, it's too expensive. $60 bucks for one season of THE COLBYS? In what f-cking universe? laugh.png

And if they were smart, they would price it competitively at $50 TOPS and I would be waiting outside the store before it even opens to get it the day of its release. Those who see this at a store and get nostalgic might pay $50. If it's 80/90? No way.

The Dynasty release picture wise was a thousand miles better than Dallas and Knots Landing and Falcon Crest.

Good luck in getting it for 50 anytime soon…LOL

Edited by Soapsuds

Oh, I don't plan on buying it. This is going on my birthday/Christmas lists. smile.pngtongue.png

The point is, it's ridiculously priced. This show is nothing. It does not warrant $120.

Edited by YRBB

Hahahaha..let someone else buy it for you…great idea!wink.png

When is your bday?? Cause Christmas is a long way off….LOL

Exactly! LOL

It's in August, so I think I can wait till then! Ha!

Do you think the Colby's failed cause it was too much like Dynasty? Spinoffs are difficult to make succeed in any genre...but shouldn't there be elements that set the spinoff apart from the parent show?

Knots landing and Dallas were similar yet different...same with Rhoda and Mary Tyler Moore.

Do you think the Colby's failed cause it was too much like Dynasty? Spinoffs are difficult to make succeed in any genre...but shouldn't there be elements that set the spinoff apart from the parent show?

Knots landing and Dallas were similar yet different...same with Rhoda and Mary Tyler Moore.

1) THE COLBYS appeared to be too much like DYNASTY. It looked like a complete carbon copy. They even named it DYNASTY II, for God's sake (which I thought was an incredibly ego-maniacal thing for them to do)! It didn't seem to offer anything different than what viewers already got with DYNASTY.

2) The show came along at a time when primetime soap operas were starting to lose steam. People were getting tired of them. DALLAS was already on its ninth season, KNOTS on its seventh. They had been around forever.

3) This was at a point where DYNASTY had severely disappointed fans with the resolution of the Moldavian Massacre. The thin veil of deceit around the show was finally crumpling. The audiences/critics could no longer deny the show was sh!t. And that was when they introduced a spinoff. Really bad timing.

All this plus there could have been issues of timeslot etc.

As for DALLAS and KL... Wow, I don't think there were any similarities. At all. It's one of the reasons why the show was able to stand on its own two legs and eventually found success.

Joan Collins thought Dynasty 2 was a rip off of the original and refused to appear on the show. Dynasty 2 really hurt Dynasty ratings wise that and the Massacre storyline. After the first episode of the 85-86 Dynasty started dropping in the ratings although the cliffhanger and the season opener of 86-87 ranked very well in the ratings.

Dynasty 2 really hurt Dynasty ratings wise that and the Massacre storyline.

I don't buy that for a second. The only one who hurt DYNASTY's ratings was DYNASTY, and the awful writing they threw at the audience.

Shout Factory must be sniffing Adam Carrington's toxic paint with that ridiculous price. That irks me because I want to support such releases, but I can't in good conscience put The Colbys before about a dozen other things that need my $120.

I think the rationale behind the argument that TC hurt DYN was that the writers' attention was too split and their creativity got thinly spread over two shows already after several seasons of DYN. For me, TC is just different enough to get away with apparently recycled stories/characters. The similarities are clear, but it is titled Dynasty II so that's expected and why would they abandon their successful formula that won them a spin-off to begin with? I'm really pleased that DYN brought over TC characters in season 9, a brilliant move.

Edited by SFK

Shout Factory must be sniffing Adam Carrington's toxic paint with that ridiculous price. That irks me because I want to support such releases, but I can't in good conscience put The Colbys before about a dozen other things that need my $120.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think the rationale behind the argument that TC hurt DYN was that the writers' attention was too split and their creativity got thinly spread over two shows already after several seasons of DYN. For me, TC is just different enough to get away with apparently recycled stories/characters. The similarities are clear, but it is titled Dynasty II so that's expected and why would they abandon their successful formula that won them a spin-off to begin with? I'm really pleased that DYN brought over TC characters in season 9, a brilliant move.

Well in a way they had to with Krystal gone and anyone else to battle Alexis they needed Sable. I forgot why Monica was brought over though.

I don't buy that for a second. The only one who hurt DYNASTY's ratings was DYNASTY, and the awful writing they threw at the audience.

I think it was both.