James E. Reilly Tribute

• Members

I watched Guiding Light in the early 1990s when James Reilly was one of the writers. Highlights for me were Alexandra confronting Roger at the country club, and the blackout. Two of the best actors I've ever watched on daytime were the late Michael Zaslow and the late Beverlee McKinsey. That was also the period of GL that launched the careers of Sherry Stringfield, Melina Kanakaredes, and Nia Long.

It was hard for me to picture the same James Reilly from GL as the writer of the sci-fi era on Days from 1993-1999. If I remember correctly, Days almost beat Y&R for #1 in the summer of 1997.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A wonderfully written, heart-felt tribute. :)

I haven't really seen PASSIONS, but I loved the SSK Storyline on DAYS OF OUR LIVES, as well as anything I could get my hands on YouTube of his earlier stint. As a matter of fact, I got to saw the conclusion to The Affair Storyline due to Toups' thread, and I saw another side of James E. Reilly. JER knew how to excite, how to write entertaining, in a good way crazy stories, that had a slow burn, would hook you and then reward you with a big climax. It was fun and it was memorable.

• Members

True, I've heard from several people Nadine wasn't quite as colourful under Pam Long.

Dan, was it mentioned before Bridget joined the show that Sean Reardon had a daughter named Bridget?

I know Reilly was a huge fan of Irish and Catholic influences, and Saint Bridget happens to be one of the patron saints of Ireland, which leads me to believe he was even more instrumental in the character's creation than I originally thought.

• Members

The thing that JER left for me, for which I will always be thankful are three characters: Vivian Alamain, Kate Roberts and Kirsten Blake and the Payoffs of his storylines. Those three characters were just...decadent...under JER's pen. The payoffs his storylines offered were always so worth it. For his first run as HW at DAYS, JER had be glued to my set for years. I was addicted to it. I very nearly didn't make it through university thanks to him!

• Members

Although I loathed what he did to the show in 2003-2006 during his second tenure, his original 1993-1997 run made DAYS the talk of the industry and gave the show such huge numbers and a great positive buzz. I thank him for his original run because those stories are what got me hooked on DAYS in the first place, and thus leading to my love of daytime in general.

From the moment I saw that commercial in late July where a "dead" Marlena awoke and held John by the throat, her eyes glowing yellow, and then the commercial insinuated that she would be barging into the church, I had to see what the hell that was all about! And as I watched, I instantly got hooked on the botched wedding of Carrie & Austin thanks to a pregnant Sami, Hope opening the puzzle box and confirming Alice's suspicions that she was indeed Hope, and a mysterous Celeste who burned important papers of Lexie's to prevent her from learning of her parentage.

My first two years watching DAYS was DAYS at its best and my favorite two years in my 13+ years of watching. From the possession to Aremid to Paris to the many Kristen lookalikes, I loved the hell out of 1995-1997 and only wish I had started watching the show 2 or 3 years sooner!

• Members

I have been watching soaps since I was very small but the first storylines I remember from my childhood our those of James Reilly on Days in the 90s. Those are timeless stories and time that I spent with my mother watching them will always be dear to my heart.

So I thank James for capturing the attention of a little girl who then learned the love of soaps through that and created special momories with her mother that will last forever.

Thank toups for sharing the love and good times.

• Members

I would say the Salem Stalker storyline, up until the Melaswen thing. The Salem Stalker thing is what started me to watching Days, I saw the promos and thought it looked interesting, so I tuned in. It may have been over the top, but it was entertaining.

• Members

Great tribute, Toups. I know how much you admired Jim and I thought about you as soon as I heard the sad news. I think my favorite had to be John/Marlena/Roman. Back then and until I discovered your wonderful SON board, I had no idea who wrote what on Days, I just knew how much I enjoyed my show that I started watching in 1965. As a "purest" Days fan, Reilly's stories took getting use to, but no one can doubt what a great imagination he had or that he was a good writer, even when I didn't always like the story direction. I admit I didn't like his last run at Days, but there have been a lot of writers that have been terrible story tellers. Reilly was innovative and brave in a time that soaps seemed to struggle. He will be missed.

• Administrator

If you liked his late stuff, then I think you would love his 90's material, when he was at his best!

Hey Kenny! We grew up watching DAYS at the same time - we'll always have 90's Reilly, our favorite soap era. :)

• Members

That was a beautiful tribute, Toups -- and brought back a lot of memories I had of watching JER's Days. Unforgettable experiences. I thought it was interesting what you said, Toups, about Reilly's stories being all about love first and foremost. These relationship complications were absolutely central -- embellished by the crazy stuff and tongue-in-cheek religiousity. And it was tongue-in-cheek -- I grew up Catholic, and the Catholicism was part of ordinary life, to be celebrated and joked about and and feared and argued about. It was like great theatre in which everybody participated! The priests, the kids, the parents, the old folk, the newcomers. It's hard to put into words, really, and I don't mean to sound flippant when I talk about it. But it wasn't something sacred and untouchable and unmentionable. In Reilly's work, I recognise the drama of that upbringing -- and the comedy.

As far as SLs to remember him by, I will always remember Days' Carly being buried alive... because it triggered the reunion between Carly and Lawrence who were one of my favorite pairings at the time. For years they had been written as bitter enemies but when JER arrived, he seemed to write for the natural chemistry that had already developped between Crystal Chappell and Michael Sabatino (later husband and wife IRL). Even though they were written off a year later, I loved the way they ended up together, reunited with their child, and it was an end deserving of their story.

Of course, I had little time to "mourn" their leaving the show because by then, Marlena and John had taken center stage. Jarlena have been the object of ridicule in more recent years but, by god, they sold EVERYTHING Reilly wrote for them. I remember blushing at the full-on sensuality of this pairing -- in the private jet, on the Titan boardroom table (!!) which Sami saw (!!!) and probably one of their most compelling "almost" moments, up at "the Springs." For a religious recluse, JER sure tapped into an almost explicit intimacy and longing! And Toups, like you, I viewed Marlena's possession as a totally enthralling twist on the John/Marlena love affair. She had given him up for the sake of others... but the devil inside of her wanted him bad! :lol:

Probably the thing I appreciated most about JER was his obvious love for the female characters -- his heroines (even when they were "bad to da bone, Virginia!" -- a Sunset Beach reference). Deidre Hall was his muse and you can see why -- she played, essentially somebody who tried to do right by people... and that's what made her turns towards evil (twice) even more compelling.

But let's not forget his Sami... who would do anything for "love" -- even rape and attempted murder! Teresa on Passions started off as another Sami, but LH and JER soon gave her her own contours and definition and character while Sami on Days matured and tried to hang onto the men who actually loved her back.

And of course Kristen Blake. Eileen Davidson did EVERYTHING Reilly threw her way, and then some. It was like an acting masterclass. Comedy and drama and tragedy and pathos all rolled into one. I love ED on Y&R but I must pay tribute to her work on Days when she worked overtime to prove her acting worth to doubters after her SB stint. She was meant to be evil -- but you ended up feeling intense pity for her. Astounding!

I feel bad for having dissed him now for Days's second stint. Perhaps it is time for an appraisal. You know, Stefano was known as the Phoenis, but it is JER who rose out of the ashes again and again. Perhaps he will, posthumously, again.

Archived