Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack

AMC Tornado 2008

Your Opinion   

24 members have voted

1. 1. What effect do you think the tornado will have on AMC?

• It will rebound AMC's ratings, but only short term.
    • It will rebound AMC's ratings tremendously and save show.
    • It will have minimal/no effect on the ratings and be a dud.
    • Other (Share opinion in post)
  2. 2. What effect do you think the tornado will have on Daytime?

• It will be successful and lead to more spending and large scale storylines.
    • It will bomb and be one of the last big investments in daytime.
    • It will be successful but not change daytime as a whole.
    • Other (Share opinion in post)

Seeing all of these commercials for the tornado got me thinking, what kind of effect is this going to have on AMC and daytime in general. ABC is pushing the hell out of it. I've seen commercials in primetime on ABC and various cable networks as well as commercials on ABC during daytime and SoapNet. I've seen banner ads online and it's all over SoapNet's website and ABC's AMC website. This is the biggest promotion I've seen of AMC or any ABC soap in awhile. The only thing I've yet to see is some sort of print advertisement.

The tornado, from the commercials at least, looks nothing like a daytime soap. The promo itself just looks primetime and the quality of the effects and scenes fits that role as well. It's obvious that ABC poured a lot of money into this with the special effects, new sets, and promotion of the storyline. This is a risky move on ABC's part. This storyline can go many different ways. It can be a success and draw in phenomenal ratings during the tornado but will the viewers stay for the aftermath or will they just stay the seven days the tornado is going to last and then leave Pine Valley? The storyline and promotion of it could also be a huge dud and have minimal or no effect on the ratings. If the storyline brings in strong ratings and holds them for a period of time I can see not just ABC but all of the networks pouring money into their soaps with large scale stunts and storylines. This could prove to be the shot in the arm that the entire genre needs. I cant see this happening if this storyline does not hold the viewers it attracts, the networks might still attempt to invest more in daytime but it won't be on this scale. The other possibility is that this storyline and the promotion of it fails and does not attract many or any viewers. This would be a huge blow to ABC and the other networks. If this fails I cannot see AMC lasting much longer, the ratings have dropped and have either remained stagnant or dropped lower over the last year. If this investment on ABC's part cannot salvage the show I doubt they will try anything else. Same will go for the other two soaps on ABC, they will be less likely to take this risk again in daytime. The other networks will see this failure and also avoid investing in their shows, this could possibly accelerate the death of the genre.

I think that this storyline will draw in viewers and give ABC a return on their investment in the form of ratings. Whether or not this will last, it is too early to tell. From what I've read of the post-tornado spoilers AMC will practically be a new show. Pretty much all the existing storylines are going to go to the side as the aftermath is put front burner. A few of the larger stories will still be featured but not as they are now. There will be new sets, new groupings and pairings of different characters, returning characters, new characters, and more. This will benefit the show as it wipes the slate clean and makes it easier for new viewers to follow the show while allowing current/old viewers to still see the characters they watch(ed) every day continue in their lives. This storyline is a very important endeavor for AMC and daytime and I hope to see it play out in favor of both.

I think because of the promotion of it, it will boost the ratings for AMC briefly. I also voted that it will be "successful" in only that way, and won't change the scape of daytime.

Different soaps are trying in different ways. Y&R is going to Paris. AMC is doing a tornado storm. GH is milking Laura Spencer again. OLTL is trying a steady flow of "vet" character returns all year, in guest, recurring, or contract roles.

They're investing money in different places, trying to grab different parts of the audience. But it wouldn't make sense for any of them to try to copy the tornado thing. GH does an explosion or shooting every week, so I don't see a natural disaster shaking up the town of Port Charles.

I definitely don't think other soaps CAN invest that money in a tornado-type effect. GL probably would just shake the camera more and pretend there's an earthquake in Peapack, and have the actors throw themselves all over the grass.

Good luck to Pratt.

From what I've read of the post-tornado spoilers AMC will practically be a new show. Pretty much all the existing storylines are going to go to the side as the aftermath is put front burner. A few of the larger stories will still be featured but not as they are now. There will be new sets, new groupings and pairings of different characters, returning characters, new characters, and more

Where have you read this? It excites me tremendously. If AMC can find a way to totally reinvent itself whilst still taking advantage of its rich history then I will totally applaud them for it. I think the last few months were just Pratt wrapping up B&E's storylines and the tornado will mark the start of Pratt's AMC...I honestly hope the show will improve in the ratings, and to be honest I think

the departure of Greenlee and Kendall's hiatus

can only help matters.

GL probably would just shake the camera more and pretend there's an earthquake in Peapack, and have the actors throw themselves all over the grass.

That made me laugh, which is disturbing because it is probably true. I'd think GL's best bet if they wanted a sweeps stunt storyline would be some sort of blackout, but since it never seems to be nighttime in Springfield anymore I dont see that happening.