Y&R: Week of October 06, 2008

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have time to fiddle with these (make them sharper), since the Youtube was fuzzy to begin with. Clicking gets you to larger (youtube-sized) versions.

First, overheated music with percussion has our two leading ladies breathily saying "try me":

Photobucket  Photobucket  

Next, music as rapidly falling objects show a falling white rose, pearls from a broken necklace raining down, a gavel banging, a clock pendulum swinging.

Photobucket Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  

Creepy images of Sheila in the nursery on a swing, Lauren on her chaise lounge staring haughtily (seductively?) out? A phone, off the hook, dangles ominously.

Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  

Suddenly, incredibly, Cla'ence comes on and does a little rap.

Photobucket  

We end with a return to our sexy stars, Brad and Dru, saying "try me". I'm thinking this promo comes from the early 90s.

Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  

• Members

Oh, God, yeah, I remember these. They struck me as entering a new era for soaps -- after the blazing "It will excite you!" of the 80s soap promo, this was much more moody and spooky. I wondered if CBS wasn't inspired by the gothic turn taken on Days for these.

LOL, and woah, Brad and Dru? I must have missed those two together!

• Members

Well, Sheila's story (especially her move to B&B) dovetailed with a big hit movie of the time (Rebecca DeMornay's "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"). So, this picked up on some of it.

It DID work. Wasn't it during Sheila's run that Y&R rocketed to #1? I forget the exact chronology. I guess it happened in 1988 (which would have been a few years before this).

Still, the heated promotion of Sheila, and her subsequent migration to B&B, solidified the success of both shows. The most. successful. crossover. EVER.

Brad and Dru were never a couple. They sparred a little, and they had a common link through Aunt Mamie. (Aunt Mamie had a soft-spot for fellow domestic Brad...and of course Dru was her niece). I think they lived together in the Abbott mansion for a time...and I specifically recall scenes of Dru and Brad (as friends?) in the kitchen together.

I think this commercial wasn't meant to imply couple-dom so much as "look at these two sexy people".

The way in which Diamont was used...he fully played into it...makes it such a shame that his character has now been so roundly assassinated. Always an opportunist, early Brad was "emotionally positive" and brought an appealing lightness to him. You could understand his appeal on many levels. Now...he's a backstabber and a scowling force of darkness. I personally enjoyed that they delved into his backstory...but not what it became...or how they have used it since.

• Members

What else was going on besides Cricket? I know I can look it up, but if you had to list the 3-4 top stories, what were they? And, for Cricket, was it her rape by Derek? (The timing would have been about right). The Rebecca AIDS story would have been happening at the same time.

Interestingly, Cricket wasn't in that promo :-).

Archived