Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Administrator

MELROSE PLACE - Episode Information and Ratings (Numbers are from Nielsen Media Research)

Live+7 Total Viewers = Live Viewers + DVR playback up to 7 days later (Live + 7)

Live+SD Total Viewers = Live Viewers + Same Day DVR playback (Live + Same Day)

Live Total Viewers = Live Viewers

18-49 = Live + SD Numbers

Season 1

Timeslot: Tuesday at 9pm

Episode 1.1: "Pilot"

Air Date: September 8, 2009

Written By: Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer

Based on the Teleplay By: Darren Star

Directed By: Davis Guggenheim

Live+7 Total Viewers: 2.80 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 2.31 million

Live Total Viewers: 2.0 million

18-49: 1.3/3

Episode 1.2: "Nightingale"

Air Date: September 15, 2009

Written By: Liz Tigelaar

Directed By: Greg Beeman

Live+7 Total Viewers: 2.28 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.81 million

Live Total Viewers: 1.49 million

18-49: 1.0/3

18-49 Live+7: 1.3

Episode 1.3: "Grand"

Air Date: September 22, 2009

Written By: Caroline Dries

Directed By: Allan Arkush

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.90 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.44 million

18-49: 0.8/2

18-49 Live+7: 1.1

Episode 1.4: "Vine"

Air Date: September 29, 2009

Written By: Daniel T. Thomsen

Directed By: Frederick E.O. Toye

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.83 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.42 million

18-49 Live+7: 1.0

Episode 1.5: "Canon"

Air Date: October 6, 2009

Written By: Christopher Fife

Directed By: Norman Buckley

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.98 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.60 million

18-49: 0.9/2

Episode 1.6: "Shoreline"

Air Date: October 13, 2009

Written By: Alexandra McNally

Directed By: Roxann Dawson

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.76 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.38 million

18-49: 0.7/2

Episode 1.7: "Windsor"

Air Date: October 20, 2009

Written By: Jon Caren

Directed By: Patrick Norris

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.95 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.50 million

Episode 1.8: "Gower"

Air Date: November 3, 2009

Written By: Caprice Crane

Directed By: David Barrett

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.48 million

Episode 1.9: "Ocean"

Air Date: November 10, 2009

Written By: David Babcock

Directed By: Liz Friedlander

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.27 million

Episode 1.10: "Cahuenga"

Air Date: November 17, 2009

Directed By: Michael Fields

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.93 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.57 million

Episode 1.11: "June"

Air Date: December 1, 2009

Written By: Daniel T. Thomsen

Directed By: David Paymer

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.41 million

Episode 1.12: "San Vicente"

Air Date: December 8, 2009

Teleplay By: Christopher Fife

Story By: Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer

Directed By: Bethany Rooney

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.26 million

Episode 1.13: "Oriole"

Air Date: March 9, 2010

Written By: Alexandra McNally

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.16 million

18-49: 0.5/1

Episode 1.14: "Stoner Canyon"

Air Date: March 16, 2010

Teleplay By: Caroline Dries

Story By: Caprice Crane

Directed By: Seith Mann

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.13 million

18-49: 0.6/1

Episode 1.15: "Mulholland"

Air Date: March 23, 2010

Written By: David Babcock

Directed By: J. Miller Tobin

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.26 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 0.97 million

18-49 Live+7: 0.7

Episode 1.16: "Santa Fe"

Air Date: March 30, 2010

Written By: Alexandra McNally & Daniel T. Thomsen

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.34 million

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.06 million

18-49: 0.6/2

18-49 Live+7: 0.8

Episode 1.17: "Sepulveda"

Air Date: April 6, 2010

Directed By: Norman Buckley

Live+7 Total Viewers: 1.19 milloin

Live+SD Total Viewers: 0.86 million

18-49: 0.4/1

18-49 Live+7: 0.6

Episode 1.18: "Wilshire"

Air Date: April 13, 2010

Written By: Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer

Live+7 Total Viewers:

Live+SD Total Viewers: 1.09 million

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Melrose-Place-remake-26338.aspx

With New 90210's Success, Is Melrose Place Next?

Now that the new 90210 has found success (thus that full-season pickup), will Melrose Place be next?

The good news: Series creator Darren Star says, per earlier rumors, that it's a possibility he'd be interested in pursuing and acknowledged that it's been up for discussion. "Regardless of whether they do it or not, whether I'm part of it or not, I think it would be a fun thing to do," he told TVGuide.com. "I wouldn't be surprised if it happened — If it can be put together in the right way."

Plus, the new 90210's success — and the requisite fandom surrounding it — is not lost on Star. "I love it," he said of the redux. "I mean, it’s incredible to see a show that I was a part of, that many people were a part of for so many years, come back, and that the audience still has an affection for the show."

The bad news? No "official" discussions have yet taken place. Despite Star's enthusiasm, the TV veteran, who also created Sex and the City, said only, "There are no guarantees." Yet.

Star spoke to TVGuide.com just before being honored by GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) at Fridays' annual Respect Awards, where Melrose Place, which included a gay character, was a particularly apt example of his commitment to organization's cause. Discussing the motivation behind the boundary-pushing that he's known for, Star explained, "I think I try in some ways to always look at the world the way I’d like it to be." He continued, "Not send a message but just say, with a show like Melrose Place, you want to include a gay character when everybody’s in a building in West Hollywood."

"Sometimes the networks are a little behind with the times but I think now they’ve caught up a lot," he reflected. "I think the networks have transformed the terms of how they deal with gay characters and how they include gay characters on their shows."

It wasn't like that, though, when Melrose first arrived. "It was like, 'You can have him, but let’s not hear too much from him," Star recalled. "Or, 'Let’s certainly not give him any romantic relationships,' and that's all changed. I'm proud to have been able to have the opportunity to kind of help that change."

Now that some of the issues Star helped introduced into network television are more accepted, there are new topics to tackle on TV.

What would he include in a potential, next series? "I think people are very polarized right now," he said. "And there's culture wars going on in this country. I think that people have really strong, different points of view about fundamental things. And that always creates good, thoughtful stories."

• Members

Because of the buzz surrounding the 90210 revival, I too thought it would be natural to resurrect its sister soap, but I'd rather call it "Melrose" than "MP". Whenever anyone used to talk about watching the series, they always called it "90210" or "Melrose" so I think that's all we need.

I would love to see SOMEONE iconic tied to the revival, but not necessarily Amanda, because I think that's too heavy-handed, and maybe even a little limiting. Her running the show again might be too much because she did A LOT in her years on the show.

Now, they could reserve one apartment for maybe Jane or even a mellowed out Taylor McBride, as a talk-to for the newer residents, someone that has stories from the history of the building. There were a few characters that could be interesting as a bit of a mother hen, I lean more towards Jane, but you could even use Daphne Zuniga as Jo... is she wrapped up in any projects right now? It's a shame they killed Sydney, because I'm sure Sydney would LOVE to be in Amanda's shoes running that complex.

Jo might actually work best because she was "real" and "relatable" character that they dropped into the series, from NY with her "real" problems, etc. She also had a son over the 2nd/3rd season, which would leave us with a 15 year old boy right about now (18 if you want to age him a little) who was put up for adoption and is now seeking answers. Hell, Zuniga and Grant Show's Jake could be the cornerstones of "Melrose", since Billy/Alison were so obliterated by the time they left, Wagner and Locklear have other commitments (B&B) and personal issues, respectively, and Jane/Kyle aren't together in real life anymore. Jo's son comes to Melrose looking for his birth mother, wanting to come live with her, and Jake returns to give his input on not having a stable home life of his own growing up. Surrogate family.

Perhaps the youngest Mancini sibling can move in to stir up a load of trouble, with visits from big siblings Michael and Jennifer.

They could have a lot of fun with that project. What happened to Amanda? Is Melrose closed down? If Jo came into some more money and was looking for property and realized Melrose was shut down and boarded up... Imagine bringing that swimming pool back to life!

• Members

I cant see too many original cast members being on this bc MP was about 20 somethings and later the early 30 crowd. That cast is into their 40s now and Im sure not the demographic that would sell or that the networks would go for. They'd cast adults who could pass for their 20s like before. They'd need a tie to reintroduce the series kind of like how Brenda/Kelly are to the new 90210. Having one of the old cast members owning the building would be a great idea. I wouldnt want it to be Jo though as I couldnt stand her in her last season. Jane could work for a short while before they have her pass it on to someone else. They dont really need Kyle around for this. I could see her being established in the fashion world and have one of the new tenants working for her and keep her on as a recurring character through that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived