DAMfan

Dark Shadows

14 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

KLS mentioned the change of actors in one of her DS books. The only thing she wrote was that the change was necessary because the original actor could not remember his lines.

Thanks. That's interesting as I felt like Ford went up a lot too (maybe that's why he was written out - that or the marriage to Nancy Barrett...). But looking back at these again I notice a lot of flubs (in the bleeder valve saga the first sheriff can't even say "Burke Devlin"). I guess I forget sometimes how much pressure the actors were under. 

Yeah, I also thought that blog seemed kind of out there but people were replying to it as if it is factual. Plus, some of those people are still alive, particularly the "victims." Wouldn't the blogger fear a lawsuit, or several?

8 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Thanks. That's interesting as I felt like Ford went up a lot too (maybe that's why he was written out - that or the marriage to Nancy Barrett...). But looking back at these again I notice a lot of flubs (in the bleeder valve saga the first sheriff can't even say "Burke Devlin"). I guess I forget sometimes how much pressure the actors were under. 

Ford did go up a lot too, but I guess that there was no way of knowing before they hired him that he would also have trouble memorizing his lines.

1 minute ago, vetsoapfan said:

Ford did go up a lot too, but I guess that there was no way of knowing before they hired him that he would also have trouble memorizing his lines.

True. I feel like it was especially bad in the 1795 story.

I would love to know some post-Dark Shadows information about two performers:  John Lesall (Dr. Peter Gutherie) and Jane Draper (Suki Forbes).   I had asked before about Mr. Lasell (who also created the role of Dr. Michael Shea) and was told that he was still living.  

I had a few more questions, if anyone can help.

Did they ever say why they recast Matthew Morgan? Was it to make him more menacing? 

There was, for a brief time, a lot of heavy buildup with the Ned Calder character, the main operator of the shipping fleet, he'd loved Elizabeth for years and wanted her to marry him, and so on. Then suddenly he just leaves town. Did plans change? 

I wish they'd considered keeping Bill Malloy around longer. Of course if they had there never would have been any supernatural elements on the show...

I think I heard the first mention of Jeremiah and Josette. Carolyn says they married and built Collinwood in 1830, and Josette also has another last name ("Laflornier" or something). 

Josette did originally have a different backstory and name.

I think the whole background thing about the butler, Hanscomb and his wife or daughter or whoever who may have been linked to Vicki somehow is from the Art Wallace bible. It was far more prevalent there than on-air but I haven't read the bible in years and don't recall the details. Obviously Calder was intended for Liz and then they dumped it, like most things early on.