Dark Shadows

• Members

I think the show gradually changing Maggie from her original incarnation to a weepy victim sort of downgraded Victoria's character. However, the thing I noticed about Victoria was that she had the trappings of the typical heroine but with a backbone.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There was a very early Joan Bennett movie on TCM last week, called Eleven Men and a Girl. It was a Joe E Brown movie (an annoying comedian of that era) and Joan was the romantic figure, along with James Hall. Her father was the football coach for a California university and she would bring talented players to the school and charm them if they would join the team. There was a scene with the latest guy where he wanted to give her his pin but she already had tons of them pinned to her dress, under a shawl.

She had short blonde hair at this time (she said she wasn't really noticed until later when she dyed her hair black) and she "sang" and played the ukulele! And in one scene she did some kind of wild, manic dance where the entire football team stood around her in a bedroom. Then they all took her on their shoulders and did some type of huddle. Given that this was a pre-code movie I almost wondered if it was going to get a little out of control...

I could definitely see her as Carolyn Stoddard's mother here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The funny thing is, compared to Victoria, I always thought the show centered around Julia. I think Victoria was gone around the time I started watching the reruns on Sci-Fi, and I found myself enamored with Grayson Hall's acting. I think, still to this day, I have not seen episodes of DS that have this Victoria character.

• Members

Victoria Winters was mostly a supporting character, but she was connected to practically everyone and every story. She narrated the beginning of each episode and always started with the classic line, "My name is Victoria Winters ..."

It's no secret that she was supposed to be Elizabeth's daughter somehow, but it never happened concretely, though there were major hints at the very beginning of the program.