Dark Shadows

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That, plus it has always had a huge, die-hard cult following, and is popular with kids, teens and men as well as women. I think programming directors think its "new" audiences may be bigger and more diverse than if they reran Peyton Place (for example). DS' stories are often self-contained and come to an end before another one begins. It appeals to nostalgia. All its episodes were saved. I'm sure there are many reasons why DS is chosen for syndication  over other vintage serial-type programs.

• Members

Call me weird, but I kind of liked the Pre-Barnabas episodes better... all the characters had development/focus.  Once Barnabas and Julia came into the picture.. all of the characters outside of them lost any development/dimension. 

Between the Phoenix and 1795, there was a good balance between supernatural and soap opera... but once 1795 ended, the show became about which horror story to adapt and less about the character.

• Members

I did not say that the episodes were self-contained, I was referring to the stories, which had a beginning, middle and end, and ran for months rather than years and years.

Other soaps of that period had storylines that went on forever (like the Mickey/Laura/Bill saga with the secret of Mike's paternity, on DAYS, which lasted ten long years). DS' stories are easier to watch because you know you are not going to age beyond 90 years old before you see how they end, LOL.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• 2 months later...