Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Members

I was reading a Digest article from around 1989, where they talked about crime stories, and Henry Slesar said a moment he really loved, during his tenure as Capitol headwriter, was bringing back Clarissa's dead husband or whoever, because that was a story about older people. Did you like that story?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That story, particularly their emotional reunion, was listed in some soap magazine's greatest moments list, I've only seen bits of that s/l. Yeah, Baxter (Ron Harper) was in town for months before they knew who he was and Clarissa fell for him over Mark. I think that contributed to Mark losing it/the reveal of him being a secret spy villain, or whatever. Actually, he may have even been involved with Baxter aka Garrett in the undercover spy world or something.

• Members

In the end who did Clarissa stay with?

I had also wanted to ask if you were interested in any of the Capitol preview type of stuff (text not photos) that they had in some of the Digests. I have a few from 1985 and 1986.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Sure!

She stuck with Baxter. Mark was killed in a shoot out at Lincoln Memorial (real tasteful). I'm almost positive James Lipton was responsible for that, and from what I gather, it was a VERY unpopular story development (making a charming, upstanding guy like Mark a trader/spy).

• Members

I prefer Mark, he's a cool witty guy before they make him a traitor. Jarrett/Baxter is more of a vanilla good guy. I'd like to see more episodes involving his reveal, like his first scene with Myrna for example. Him leaving Myrna for Clarissa was the end of the ladies' since childhood friendship and the beginning of a bunch of mess.

Here's a clip (in English!), oh, and that so is not the Lincoln Memorial, remembered it wrong:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9p6zjwyPhPM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

SFK was there ever anything on the show about Trey being in love with Clarissa? I was looking in a Digest from around late 82 or mid 83 and they said that the original writers were going and that many of their stories might be changed, and one new story being suggested was Trey having feelings for Clarissa.

• Members

Wow, yeah, I've never seen or heard anything about Trey and Clarissa, now THAT would have been interesting. Would have drove Myrna crazy and created a lot of drama for Trey's career (older woman) and mixed emotions for Clarissa given the two families' history. In the pilot movie, Trey's limo almost mows Clarissa down while she's out jogging and Trey makes some smart remark about one less McCandless.

• Members

I agree, that would have been a really interesting storyline. How old was Trey supposed to have been? Early 30s? It would have been about a 20-year age gap which would have made for a field day for the Washington gossip hounds. I imagine it would have caused some drama between her and her sons, especially Tyler.

• Members

Yeah, I guess that's where Conboy first worked with Constance.

Yes, Trey was early thirties and Clarissa was latest forties/early fifties. Tyler and the other boys would have had a fit had she started dating Trey and Myrna would have flipped her wig (literally).

• Members

I just re-discovered this board since I've been looking at my Capitol tapes again. I love Capitol and wish I could have seen the whole show. I was just a kid when the show originally aired and discovered it after I started watching Constance on General Hospital. I liked her so much on GH that I looked up some of her other work and, through the generosity of fellow Capitol fans, I've gotten copies of a good many episodes, especially from the later part of the show's run (1985-1987). My favorite character, of course, was Clarissa and I preferred the McCandlesses to the Cleggs. I wonder if the series in its entirety still exists on tape somewhere and if it will ever be released on DVD. After seeing what I have of Capitol, I think I prefer Constance as Clarissa rather than Helena. For one, Clarissa was a much larger role. Helena, as entertaining as she can be, is such a peripheral character on GH, where Clarissa played a central role on Capitol. The roles are pretty much polar opposites of one another.

I wish I could see Constance on Love is a Many Splendored Thing as well.

Myrna would have gone apoplectic! LOL Paula wouldn't have minded, however;)