Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Members

The pilot movie was really grand, when it popped up on the WoST main page one day, wow, what an awesome treat! I'm sure somebody has it out there. Claudio who runs the Capitol Megasite has it dubbed in Italian. He used to update his site with clips bi-monthly or so but I guess with the cost of bandwith and all he discontinued doing that. Of course it was all in Italian which I don't speak but it was always fun to watch and try to read lips. My goal before the new year is to learn this whole YouTube thing and put up the stuff I have (in English ^_^ ), I know I keep saying that but it woulkd be nice to get some stuff on dvd/digital so I can get rid of these bulky cassettes. I wish I had early Capitol, I have mostly '86/'87 I think. The earliest I have is a little clip of Marla Adams's Myrna and Clarissa having a peace offering tea at the Clegg mansion.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess she would have played Myrna? If so she and Marj just kept on crossing paths in some form or another.

I know she probably wasn't in good health by then and she had long retired from acting but I wonder if Conboy ever considered asking her to return to GL when Joan Collins left. They could have even tried for a way to keep both Marj and Beverlee there.

Oh well.

I have to laugh a bit when they talk about the names Conboy found and then shift in tone to talk about "daytime people."

• Members

LOL, I know right.

BM did say in her "Daytime's Most Wanted" interview that Rauch had invited her back pre-Joan but she declined. Knowing how he rolls, maybe that's why he slid in remarks like, "Joan could be the most fabulous Alexandra yet" (I remember Michael Logan being particularly offended by that statement).

Although she was a cool blonde like Constance, Beverlee would have had to have played Myrna, all that bitchy glam riding off of Iris. She would have resembled Marla Adams' Myrna.

Checking out that Nicolas Coster interview and other old pics, my God Marla Adams was a fine ass woman in her day.

• Members

Marla was pretty striking even up to her DAYS run in 1999. I'm not sure where she is now.

Did Beverlee say that about the GL offer in that one where she also talked about Zaslow? I'd forgotten some of that.

I would have loved seeing Constance and Beverlee in scenes together. That would have been great. Constance has such a special air -- she reminds me a lot of Alice Faye for some reason.

• Members

From the June 2, 1987 Digest. Network Publishing Co

The Untold Story: How Capitol Should Have Ended

By Stella Bednarz

Sloane faced a firing squad; Kate got away with murder; Sam was forced to ask Myrna for a divorce. The final episode of CAPITOL posed more questions than it answered. What happened after the picture faded to black? Here is one writer's version of how the show's story lines might have been resolved:

No one can understand why Sam wants to divorce Myrna, who refuses to move out and turns the mansion into a battleground. The kids and the servants take her side. Sam cracks under the pressure and has recurring chest pains. When the cardiologist warns he won't survive another attack, the patriarch calls a pow-wow.

Sam boldly announces he was forced to give up Myrna. "Why?" the Cleggs demand in unison. "Kate was blackmailing me," he reveals. "She learned the truth - I am Scotty's real father!" For once, the entire family is speechless. Finally, Myrna manages to gasp, "Sam...and Kelly?" However, Mrs. Clegg quickly recovers, relieved that her days as grande dame/power maven aren't numbered.

Trey Goes Over the Edge

Out of control, Trey races to Kelly house where he finds her alone. They clash in a violent, sexually-charged encounter. Thomas breaks them up, but Trey suffers a nervous breakdown and is admitted to a sanitarium. When his mom, Laureen, hears the news, she vows revenge on Sam. To that end, the first Mrs. Clegg kidnaps the second Mrs. Clegg, holding her prisoner in a seedy motel room. Appalled at the tacky accommodations, Myrna escapes. Laureen and buddy Amos hit the road, but not before the ex-Mrs. Clegg shares a tearful reunion and rice pudding with her son.

Thomas Loses, Again

After Kim admits he was responsible for implanting the artificial heart, Thomas is reinstated at the hospital. Predictably, guilty Kelly feels responsible for Trey's pitiful state. At Scotty's urging (the boy still believes Trey is his dad), Ms. Harper frequently visits Clegg in the looney bin. Thomas realizes that he never really had Kelly's love, and leaves town. He marries a woman who has never heard of the Cleggs. Or so he thinks...

On Other Clegg Fronts

Sam turns Kate in to the police. She confesses to Leanne's murder, is convinced of involuntary manslaughter, and receives a short prison sentence. She also writes a best seller based on her experiences, becomes a media celebrity and stars in the TV movie based on the book.

Wally and Brenda take off in search of a musical career. Jordy scores a major success with Carol as The Beautiful Girl. Carol's pragmatic but gentle nature helps curb Clegg's excessive tendencies, and the friendship deepens. Julie meets a still-amnesiac Zed at Aries. The encounter with Jenny's mirror image jolts Diamond, whose memory returns. Sympathetic and newly divorced, Julie and daughter Allison spend pleasant afternoons with Zed. Julie is worried about being a substitute for his wife, but since Jenny is dead, she doesn't push it.

Meanwhile, Back in Baracq...

Prince Marim's radio address disrupts Sloane's execution. In the confusion, a robed figure spirits her to a desert haven. Her rescuer is Al-Shim, Ali's mentor. Under the prince's leadership, the loyalists rally to crush Abdullah's revolt. Peace is restored, and Sloane is hailed as a heroine. However, though she is the Queen of Baracq, Marim is the rightful heir to the throne, and this causes a dilemma. Jeffrey proposes a solution: Sloane and Marim should marry. Both parties want what's best for the country and reluctantly give their consent.

The evening before the nuptials, Sloane makes a solo pilgrimage to Amara Palace, where she and Ali wed. "Ali, why were you taken from me? You promised me we'd always be together," she cries. "And I always keep my promises - especially to my wife," a familiar voice replies. As Ali steps onto the moonlit balcony, Sloane faints in his arms.

The king reveals that after Abdullah left him for dead, Al-Shim saved his life. Ali lay hurt and unconscious until only recently. But the king isn't the only one concealing something. His queen eagerly reveals that she is carrying his child. After an evening of romance, Sloane and Ali triumphantly return to Karistah.

Paula takes up permanent residence at the palace, and this greatly pleases her ardent admirer, Jeffrey. He also admires her piano playing. Relieved to be off the hook, Matt/Marim becomes a playboy prince and divides his time between Baracq, Monte Carlo and Washington, D.C. This please Baxter and Clarissa. The reconciled McCandlesses settle into a quiet life. That is, until their long-forgotten daughter Gillian surfaces...

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Thanks Carl! :) I've also read that Richard Egan (Sam) was quite ill at this point and was about to be written out (Sam was going to be murdered, big murder mystery, Kate, Myrna, Laureen??). It would have been interesting if there was some sort of gaff in Sam's divorce from Laureen making his marriage to Myrna void and Laureen inherited the money and power of Clegg Industries or something to that effect.

From what I've seen, Paula is noticeably absent during a lot of the action in the show's final days, especially considering it's her daughter Sloane who's facing death by firing squad. I think I've actually read fan reaction from the time sayng the same, "Where is Paula throughout all this??" I have an earlier ep that tickles me, Paula that nut, where she's kidnapped Mark from the hospital when he was shot and has had the basement of her home redone to look like a hospital where she's keeping him. What a riot. She won't let him see a newspaper or anything, hired nurses/doctors, you can even hear the "*ding* *ding* Paging Dr. Whoever" thing overhead, the whole bit. :lol: I'd like to see how that whole s/l played out.

• Members

I'm glad you got to read it. I don't see a lot of Capitol stuff in the SODs I have but when I saw that I thought, "SFK might like this." :lol: Do you think they had good ideas for the finale (SOD I mean)? I don't know a lot about the characters. I know Paula but wasn't sure who Jeffrey was or if the stuff about her piano playing was an in-joke. It's strange Paula wasn't around at the end. I wonder if the actress was busy. Did she know about Sloan marrying a prince?

Who was Kate?

I also wondered if Wally, Brenda, Jordy, were not very important characters by the end, as they are kind of brushed off in this article.

How long was Gillian on the show?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Not sure about the piano reference, but Paula Denning played the harpsichord. She was often heard playing the harpsichord before Julie Adams was cast.

Gillian was on briefly in 1982...just a few months. Kelly Palzis (now Preston, John Travlota's wife) played Gillian.

• Members

Exactly, I think they goofed and meant harpsichord. As early as in the pilot movie, Sloane and Mark are standing outside their home and they look up to the window of Paula's "chambers" and hear her playing the harpsichord. One of those delicious little soapy character details. With Carolyn Jones in the cast, I'm sure someone had to make a Lurch joke. ^_^ And Myrna's maiden name is "Graves" which I thought was a wink to her spooky past as Morticia, though of course that was also Leslie's (Brenda) last name.

Yeah, I don't know much about Gillian, not sure why her return would be that big of a deal.

Towards the end, Brenda was still dealing with her triangle with Dylan and Wally as far as I can tell, and Jordy was dealing with his damaged face and eye from the accident and was involved with Leanne, who died when she fell down the Clegg stairs arguing with her sister Kate (ha, "Sister Kate"). Kate was a femme fatale schemer who slept with Sam and was blackmailig him because she knew that he also slept with Kelly and was Scotty's father, not Trey. Oh Lord, I can only imagine what that Jess Walton/Richard Egan love scene looked like, if there was one. :o Kate was your standard '80s money/power-hungry vixen who wanted to be the younger version of Myrna.

I guess SOD's predictions are acceptable if not predictable.