Texas!

• Members

In the late 70's he hosted a Nickelodeon show called America Goes Bananaz and then went on to Texas 1980-82 and hosted Kids Are People Too at the same time he was on that soap. After that it was mainly bit roles and commercials. Here is a current pic of him.

Related image

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, to make the circle complete (and stretching it), Liz Hubbard herself graduated from another Ivy League institution -- Harvard (Radcliffe).  In fact, per Wiki, Liz's mother graduated from Columbia University Medical School: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Hubbard.  The short-lived TV series Breaking Away (80-81), where Tom Wiggin played a supporting role to Sean Cassidy's lead, is on YouTube.  Here's the pilot.

• Members

Thank you. I never knew he was on that show.

Tom Wiggin and Jami Fields were both in a Columbia University drama production of A Midsummer Night's Dream around 1975. I'lI see if I can find the photo.

Here is the story and photo from the Columbia University student newspaper, The Spectator:

http://spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/columbia?a=d&d=cs19751030-01.2.17&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN------

http://spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/columbia?a=d&d=cs19751030-01.1.6&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN------

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I was just thinking about this issue while reading the AW forum about Iris's return to Bay City:  Did Eliot Carrington come from a wealthy family? 

There's so much talk from Paige about getting Alex's money once she finds out that he is Dennis's father but didn't Eliot have money?  He was wealthy enough to hire Alice has Dennis's full-time nurse when he was a kid.  The Carrington's owned a townhouse in Manhattan where Alice lived.  Also, Iris was living off of her divorce settlement from Eliot for a long time.  I know that he didn't make a huge salary as a war correspondent.  However, I think from reading the history, that he had a substantial if not equal family fortune to Alex.  Unless, he spent his family's fortune on Dennis's illness and Iris's divorce?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Her wedding to Alex Wheeler took place in November 1980 when Rachel was on trial for "killing" Mitch Blake. As a matter of fact, Iris' wedding to Alex may have taken place during the same week Mac learned that Rachel was carrying Mitch's baby while he was on the witness stand.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I forgot that Texas and The Doctors ended on the same day.  I wonder what the promos were like?

Texas makes my head spin trying to remember the characters (Ashley, Allison, and Paige all merge into one) but The Doctors still had many OG characters on until the end

TEXAS: Week of December 27 - December 31, 1982

(11:00am - 60 minutes - NBC)
FINAL WEEK
Justin and Ashley reunited after she gave birth to a girl.  Judith decided to give Grant and Reena a chance at happiness.  Paige was optimistic that she and TJ will have a future together.  Brett was persuaded to take a job in Alaska.  Allison and Ashley reconciled.  Stella was promoted, and Vicky threw a farewell party at KVIK after she lost ownership.  And the only truly happy couple appeared to be Lurlene and Joel.

THE DOCTORS: Week of December 27 - December 31, 1982

(Noon - 30 minutes - NBC)
FINAL WEEK
Jeff pulled the veil from his new bride, who turned out to be Adrienne.  Natalie was shocked to learn Paul and Felicia were arrested for murdering Billy.  Matt and Maggie reconciled, while Kit and Mike also planned a wedding.  Althea got fed up with Jean Marc’s preoccupation with Felicia.  Ivy split when Luke found a new girl.

Edited by j swift

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The next week, NBC revamped their entire daytime lineup.  They were probably advertising the new shows that would premiere in January, 1983.

10 AM- The Facts of Life reruns

10:30 AM- Sale of the Century

11 AM- Wheel of Fortune

11:30 AM- Hit Man

12:00 PM- Just Men starring Betty White

12:30 PM- Search for Tomorrow 

1 PM- Days of our Lives

2 PM- Another World

3 PM- Fantasy

• Members

Through the magic of YouTube I was able to watch Just Men and Fantasy(!).  I understand why 37 years later there are stlll boards dedicated to Texas(!) and not its the replacements.

Fantasy! hosted by Peter Marshall & Leslie Uggams (one could not get a more C-rate celeb duo in 1982) gave out minuscule amounts of cash to fulfill wishes.  It could be described as the 80s version of when Kathie Lee would sing for dying kids and their family on Today a few years ago.  One family got $2,700 to publish a kid's newspaper which covered "the bare minimum to keep the presses going."  It should have been called Fantasy (as long as it's under five grand).

Just Men tries to be provocative but is just sexist in retrospect.  Betty White asks seven male celebrities a question about a social topic and the contestants have to guess their answers in order to try to win a Ford Mustang convertible.  In an audience filled with women, didn't anyone take offense that four out of seven hunks would refuse care from a female physician?    BTW, there was a maximum of two hunky guys per week, the other men were uninspiring.  Then, if the contestant doesn't win the key to open the Mustang they don't get anything, except the requisite Turtle Wax and cleaning products!  These were the cheapest game shows in history!  I would not be surprised if Betty White's hair budget cost more than the prizes.

Edited by j swift