Toups

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

it leaked!

omg. ive rocked out to it for like half an hour now. i love it. its heavy on production, and i dont mind at all cuz all of britneys best songs are, i am not one of the crazy stgans who claims she has an amazing voice...

i love the lyrics, the beat is great, and the breakdown is flawless.

After the first hearing....I just like it, not love it. The best part is the chorus (“If I said my heart was beating loud / If we could escape the crowd somehow / If I said I want your body now / Would you hold it against me?/ Cause you feel like paradise/ And I need a vacation tonight / If I said I want your body now / Would you hold it against me?). But I have a feeling it won't play well on radio. It's not catchy enough (the verses) and it's too techno-y.

• Members
First review of Hold It Against Me!

As you can see, the song is three minutes and fifty two seconds long. That makes it twenty two seconds longer than the optimum pop length (established by '...Baby One More Time') of three minutes and thirty seconds, but complaining about a new Britney song going on a bit is a bit like moaning your lunch is a bit too nice.

So what's it like? Well, if you've heard the demo (which frankly isn't very good and made us worry a bit about this whole Britney comeback business) you will probably be expecting something that sounds like a halfarsed Ke$ha tribute. Fortunately, while the song's lyrics and melody aren't that different, the finished Britney version of 'Hold It Against Me' is approximately 1000 times better than the demo. It's a harder, more urgent, extremely epic statement track that sounds like the work of a superstar.

Allow us to illustrate our point piscatorially.

The big difference from the early demo that leaked last week is the presence - heralded by a classic Britney spoken word "if I said 'I want your body', would you hold it against me?" - of a fantastically ridiculous dubstep breakdown after the second chorus. After the whole song drops out it's dubstep gloomwobble-a-go-go for a full thirty seconds, with Britney throwing around some "yeah", "ow", "uh-huh" ad-libs and a new "gimme something good, don't wanna wait I want it now, drop it like a hood and show me how you work it out" line. After that there's a second middle eight (don't be surprised if certain radio programmers whip out the first one entirely) which is a hands-in-the-air smoke machine moment more in keeping with the rest of the track, and that's followed by the full chorus slamming in and taking you to the end of the track. Sudden end, no fade. Amazing.

This is neither the time or the place to fully explore the concept of delayed gratification but the effect of teasing the listener by dropping the beat out of the song's first two choruses, then plunging us into half a minute of abstract dubstep, and then only finally revealing the full-on raveochorus in the song's final moments is something very special indeed. Warning: YOU MAY SHED A TEAR OR OTHER FLUIDS.

Other bits:

1. There is lots of whooshing.

2. There's no "babaay", but there is a "hazaay".

3. The vocals are a bit treated - it's a Britney single - but it's not Auto-Tuned to [[email protected]#$%^&*] like we (and lots of you) feared. It's obviously Britney and it's obviously brilliant.

4. We love it and it makes us very excited - more excited than we thought we would be - for the album.

Read more: http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5210&Itemid=206#ixzz1AdrNuw6o

• Members

I think what i love the most, aside from the sudden end, is that the song is pretty melodic and then its just like BAM! an eruption of energy. Its like foreplay and then sex and then a climax. then its done. perfect. I legit want to call off work and go to the club tonight to get blitzed and dance to this song with 100's of other sweaty people out for a good time. lol.

tmi?...

That said, i really do not think it is radio friendly, at all.

• Members

I dunno, it will definitely be a club hit, but it doesn't really do much for me. Its a letdown from 3 and I wasn't even too hot on that song either.

Even though it was when she was having her biggest issues in her personal life.... IMO she was at her best with Blackout. Gimme More and Piece of Me are probably my favourite singles of her's... Toxic is in there too.

• Members

It sounds very dated and generic, it's not even that much fun to be honest. A bit of a stilted attempt. It sounds like something a one hit wonder Eurotrash dance act would've produced in 2005.

Apparently, she'll be working with Xenomania on the new album. They've worked with Girls Aloud, Pet Shop Boys, Sugababes, Kylie Minogue, Dannii Minogue, and Cher in the past. There's reports she's going for a more "British dance-pop influence" on the new album. Xenomania haven't been that great in recent years to be honest, but they SHOULD be a perfect match for Britney if things are done right.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3321812/Britney-Spears-teams-up-with-Xenomania-for-new-album.html

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner