Toups

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

I've loved reading back on this thread. All the comments since 2008, fascinating to read. For me Britney's best era is Blackout through to Britney Jean. Glory was a bit disappointing. I agree that Blackout is her best album. I'm not fussed by the Baby album at all, nor Oops bar a couple of songs.

• Members

It's sad she was never really able to regain her 99-04 spark again. Even before her recent troubles, her career has been on a downward trajectory - these last two albums were huge flops. She's so irrelevant to the current pop scene that she may never be able to make a significant mark on it again, especially as she pushes 40. 

Though, I guess other than Beyonce, no one from her generation of pop has really been able to sustain a career with much momentum. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I forget about P!nk all the time, because well, all of her music since M!zundastood and Try This has been so damn forgettable.

It works for her because she still has a strong following, but after M!zundastood (still her best album, IMO) and after Try This sold disappointingly, she gave up trying to bring anything new to the table and has played it safe and catered to soccer moms ever since. It's a shame, because had potential to be so much more, especially after she flipped the script from her first album and into M!zundastood.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I’m a bit more charitable towards her post-2001 work (I really liked I’m Not Dead, especially “U + Ur Hand,” which is just fire), but I agree that she’s not a risk taker and a lot of her recent songs sound the same. But she found a lane to thrive in that feels authentic.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I suppose in terms of her dancing and stage presence, that was her peak, but I think the peak of her artistic expression really lies in both In the Zone and Blackout. In the Zone isn't personally one of my favourites but that's more down to my personal taste in that I prefer electronic music so Blackout to Britney Jean was bound to appeal more to me, but I can see why ITZ would have so much appeal.

I wouldn't say Glory was a flop. Britney Jean probably was, which I think is a shame as i love that album. But her contract with the residency prevented her from promoting it much. I think it was the promotional strategy rather than the material that was the problem. I like BJ more than Glory, I think that's because Glory lacks the club/dance tracks I like from Britney.

Not many people do in pop though, really. Especially as present culture is much more ageist than when say Madonna was around. I think Britney's had a good run though. I think her conservatorship stifles any passion she has for music.

Yeah, I can't think of any Beyonce tracks since Drunk in Love which were that big. But I'm not a fan, I don't follow her. Her Lion King album flopped though.

THIS. I feel like P!nk is so damn boring. She had so much life and energy in her early albums. It like she got scared of getting old and decided to conform to age norms just releasing bland ballads in order to stay relevant. Her material is so cringeworthy.

• Administrator

But that's just music evolution.  As they get older, they start to fade and become "irrelevant" (especially on the charts, the hot 100),  We can't expect them to continue to be big.  As a fan, all I want is for them to make music that I'll enjoy.    If they don't, then we still have those old albums to listen to - I still have about 20 Britney songs on my phone.  

I still like Pink.  "Beautiful Trama" and "What About Us" is two of my favourite songs of hers.