HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE

Sedrick

• Members
On 7/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, vetsoapfan said:

No, even with the expansion of other soaps, there still would have been room on the schedule for HTSAM. Lin Bolin and NBC clearly had high hopes for the show. Bolin boasted about how she had spent a fortune just on scenery for the show. They gave it a 90-minute premiere and lured daytime legend Rosemary Prinz to the show at a high salary, and then promoted the heck out of it with reams of publicity. The problem was...everyone involved forgot about CHARACTERS and STORIES that the audience could become invested in. Anne Howard Bailey relied heavily on didactic, preachy speeches about women's lib and the need for independence. Characters were not much more than caricatures with little depth or nuance. Originally, the show was both abrasive and BORING. 

I wonder if any episodes still exist anywhere. Barely any of it is even on YouTube. From what I've heard and read about the first few months of HTSAM, it seems like they were preaching rather than crafting likeable characters and engrossing stories.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
11 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

I wonder if any episodes still exist anywhere. Barely any of it is even on YouTube. From what I've heard and read about the first few months of HTSAM, it seems like they were preaching rather than crafting likeable characters and engrossing stories.

The 90-minute debut episode of HTSAM is rumored to exist among private collectors, who will not share it. I had the final episode on tape for decades, but it had deteriorated to dust before I figured out how to transfer it to disc. (Fortunately, the vast majority of my vintage treasures managed to get saved and transferred. They have all shown up on the internet at one time or another.)

It's true that during its first few months, the show was quite preachy, with some unlikeable male characters being pigs and women pontificating about equality, liberation, etc. (I agreed with the message about empowerment for women, but the lectures were so shrill, I had a feeling folks in the audience would be alienated.)

• Members
Just now, vetsoapfan said:

the show was quite preachy, with some unlikeable male characters being pigs and women pontificating about equality, liberation, etc. (I agreed with the message about empowerment for women, but the lectures were so shrill, I had a feeling folks in the audience would be alienated.)

Yes - there's a difference between merely putting the jargon out there and beating the audience over the head with it. Yikes.

• Members
1 minute ago, amybrickwallace said:

Yes - there's a difference between merely putting the jargon out there and beating the audience over the head with it. Yikes.

William J. Bell and Agnes Nixon (to name just two writers) knew how to weave socially-relevant material into naturalistic dialogue. Anne Howard Bailey did not. She was later given the headwriting duties of a primetime soap opera on CBS, called Beacon Hill, fashioned after Upstairs, Downstairs. The ratings for the premiere were stellar, but AHB's script was painfully bad and trite, and the ratings immediately plummeted. She was quickly replaced, and the new scribes were excellent, but...like with HTSAM, it was too late. Once burned, twice shy, as they say.

• Members
1 minute ago, vetsoapfan said:

William J. Bell and Agnes Nixon (to name just two writers) knew how to weave socially-relevant material into naturalistic dialogue. Anne Howard Bailey did not. She was later given the headwriting duties of a primetime soap opera on CBS, called Beacon Hill, fashioned after Upstairs, Downstairs. The ratings for the premiere were stellar, but AHB's script was painfully bad and trite, and the ratings immediately plummeted. She was quickly replaced, and the new scribes were excellent, but...like with HTSAM, it was too late. Once burned, twice shy, as they say.

Anne Howard Bailey went on to do decent work on SB in the 1980s (and wrote for The Doctors around 1976, but her stint there was so short I don't know if it was any good). Maybe her style just didn't fit what the network wanted.

• Members
6 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Anne Howard Bailey went on to do decent work on SB in the 1980s (and wrote for The Doctors around 1976, but her stint there was so short I don't know if it was any good). Maybe her style just didn't fit what the network wanted.

I remember the divine scriptwriter Patrick Mulcahey acknowledging that during his time on SB, he and the other subwriters had to fight really hard to "hide things." I've always taken that comment to indicate AHB sucked on SB too, LOL. Certainly the Dobsons wanted her gone.

Anyway, it is true that some writers fail miserably on certain shows but fare better on others. I hated Ann Marcus' stint on DAYS, but her time on Search for Tomorrow was great. I loved Claire Labine on Where the Heart Is, Love of Life and Ryan's Hope, but I cringed at her material on The Guiding Light. (To be fair, I blame MADD for interfering.)