Sign in to follow this  
Sedrick

HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE

I've heard so many good things about the David Bachmann story. I hope I can see it someday.

I think Channel disliked the hype and putdown of traditional soaps more than she disliked Nixon, but she really did let AMC have it multiple times in this magazine.

I've heard so many good things about the David Bachmann story. I hope I can see it someday.

I think Channel disliked the hype and putdown of traditional soaps more than she disliked Nixon, but she really did let AMC have it multiple times in this magazine.

To be honest, as a staunch advocate of the traditional, family-based, character-driven, slow-moving classic soaps, even I got fed up with all the cheerleading for hip, modern, relevant (whatever any of that meant, anyway) storytelling on soaps. Nixon was bright even to weave "relevance" into traditional soap structure and storytelling, which is why she was so successful. If she had just had her characters sitting around pontificating on a woman's right to choose, or the war, or equal pay for equal work, the audience of her shows would have been as bored as the audience was for HTSAM under Bailey. "Relevance" does not equate to interesting or popular. Nor does it guarantee any quality to the scripts.

Absolutely. And pushing for more soaps to be ABC in tone pretty much gutted the P&G soaps longterm.

When PEYTON PLACE hit a rough patch, what did TPTB do? They fired Dorothy Malone and Tim O'Connor, and went for hardcore "relevance," which ended up being a disaster and annoying the audience. Whether it be on daytime or primetime, TIIC never learn their lessons. They keep making the same stupid, audience-alienating mistakes over and over again, throughout the decades. Gutting the vets and drastically changing the tone and style, on ATWT and TGL in the early 1980s severely crippled both shows.

Yes,Lin Bolen made a lot of changes to the gameshow schedule and format after she arrived in 73.

From the net:

When Lin Bolen took over as NBC’s head of daytime programming in 1973, she wanted to change the look of the network’s games, most of which had an elderly feel. After dropping the long-running Concentration and The Who, What or Where Game, Bolen’s biggest shocker was moving Jeopardy! from 12 noon (where it had been for over eight years) to 10:30 a.m. to make room for Jackpot! Her explanation was that its ratings were slipping (slightly), while producer Rudin claimed she needed the slot for her own project and that Jeopardy! challenged its viewers too much to air at that early hour. That aside, it did manage to compete with CBS’s The $10,000 Pyramid and Now You See It, until Bolen moved it again – to 1:30 p.m., against As The World Turns and Let’s Make a Deal, both very highly rated. That did it – Jeopardy’s ratings slid into the basement. The show, which had a year to go on its contract, was canceled by NBC in a deal with Merv Griffin, with Griffin placing a new game on NBC’s daytime schedule in its place. (That game, of course, was Wheel of Fortune, so Merv made out pretty good on the deal.) The last NBC episode of Jeopardy! aired January 3, 1975, with an emotional farewell from Fleming and tons of clips.

In giving Jackpot! the noon slot, Jeopardy! was shoved to 10:30 a.m. in the process. Jackpot! has been reviled for this reason, but the decision was Lin Bolen’s, head of NBC daytime, who considered 12 noon a primo spot. (History has determined otherwise: affiliates generally bump a network program at 12 noon in favor of local news.) Up against CBS’s The Young and The Restless and ABC’s Password, Jackpot! actually held its own – it didn’t dominate the time period like Jeopardy! had, but it at least was competitive with Y&R, and usually beat Password.

As for HTSAM,I think the problems began with that clunky title.I guess they were going with a 70's self help vibe but the working title From This Moment sounded better to me.(I have also seen it as From This Day Forth)I think the show was already dead and buried when it was moved to 1.30 as NBC announced the plan to expand had DOOL in Feb 75.They had already aired a 60 min DOOL in Nov 74.Was it tied into a special event? eg a wedding?

I have also read that The Doctors and Marriage aired 1 hr eps as trials.Does anyone know if this is true and when they aired?

After cancellation Armand Assante(Johnny)and Lauren White(Martha) went to The Doctors,Cathy Greene(Lori)went to AW,Elissa Leeds went AMC and Veleka Gray to Somerset.

NBC aired a primetime show called WEB,losely based on Network with Pamela Bellwood(Claudia, Dynasty) as a female network chief.It was one of the first shows cancelled in the 78 TV season and was produced by ...Lin Bolen!

If i remember correctly and amazing at the age of 6 or 7 at this time, Cathy Green who played Sally Frame on AW and Lori on HTSAM was hit by car when she went to chase after her dad after he was leaving her and her mother for her moms bf.  what hoes back then.  haha!!

Prior to writing The Doctors, Rick Edelstein was the producer of The Edge of Night, on which Margaret DePriest appeared as Abby and later became one of the show's writers.

She later appeared on The Doctors.

In Retro TV's rerun cycle of The Doctors, we are now seeing HTSAM's Michael Landrum as the recast, post-facial surgery Dr. Mike Powers. It is now October 1974, and in 1975 another HTSAM alum, Armand Assante, will take over the role. Lauren White was another HTSAM star who found a home on TD, also starting in 1975 (she left TD in 1975).