• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Poor Michele Lee having to come on right after Lucille Ball, bless her heart, all but opened a vein on national television (it's so hard to watch anything with Ball in the last 15 or so years of her life - she is just so broken). As a result Michele doubles down on her cutesy coo persona that reminds me of how difficult Karen became to tolerate as the years passed. The highlight of this is Lucy becoming increasingly tired of this snappy patter wink wink. It's a good thing the interview was relatively short as I think it would have gotten a bit ugly if it had lasted much longer.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

In what would have been the last episode of Life With Lucy to air (had ABC aired all the ones filmed), there's a scene where she performs at a talent show, speak-singing an especially maudlin version of "Sunrise, Sunset." I can't get over the fact that for many audience members, their last impression of Lucy would have been that of an old woman lamenting her obsolescence.

As for Michelle, yeah, she's really "on" during this interview (Thursday, Oct. 30, 1986). For the record, Johnny was off that night. Cosby guest hosted Tonight, with Bob Melvin, Carmen McRae and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Letterman had Jack Hanna, Harry Shearer and David Sanborn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I found it fascinating, even about seasons I never saw.

It struck me that some of these writers charged with creating stories for 25-30 episodes and having months to do so,still struggled.

Makes you appreciate daytime writers that little bit more.

The author is a big fan of Ann Marcus, saying her daytime experience was a tremendous asset to Knots.

A pity they didn't call on more daytime people to work nightime soaps.

• Members

And in retrospect, it was.

It isn't everyday when a writer hands me an argument that is persuasive enough to make me reassess my previous opinions on a subject.  However, Mr. Krasker did just that with his blog, particularly in regards to Ann Marcus and how she turned around KL in both seasons 3 and 13.

But, having said that, I'm still unconvinced that the final season was all that, if only because I think Joan Van Ark's absence, the shortened episode order, and the restrictions on the show's budget kept Marcus and her team from telling the best stories possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

JamesFromLondon on soapchat.net has one of the best threads on the internet comparing Knots Landing to the other primetime soaps, week by week:

http://soapchat.net/threads/knots-landing-versus-dallas-versus-the-rest-of-them-week-by-week.223/page-15

He's finally reached the storyline of Jill trying to kill Val, which I think is my favorite Knots storyline, just because of how absolutely unique it was. My favorite Knots seasons were definitely the first five, but I consider Jill trying to kill Val and the aftermath of that a rare late season gem, and Teri Austin and Joan Van Ark just played it so extremely well. You rarely see something that dark in a soap and I just ate that storyline up.

Will we ever see anything that dark on TV again? The only thing I think of comparing to it is Walter letting Jane die on Breaking Bad, which I also loved (though I was sad, because I loved Jane.) But that wasn't pre-meditated. Jill's attempted murder of Val was just so unique on American TV, because you got it, you sympathized with her, she was completely evil but completely understandable. I really can't think of any other storyline quite like it. And Teri Austin in the opening credits of season 10 is just the piece de resistance.

I do find Latham/Lechowick obnoxious in general, and especially on Knots, but when they were on, they were on, especially on Knots.

Edited by juppiter