OLTL: Actor out

• Members

From Soap Central:

In a case of blink-and-you-missed-him, soapcentral.com has learned that A Martinez's stint on One Life to Live has already come to an end. The actor just started appearing on viewers' television screens last week.

Emmy-winning actor A Martinez (Ray Montez), who joined the cast of One Life to Live on September 10th, has taped what could be his final episode with the ABC soap. Martinez's arrival was trumpeted by the network as a major casting coup, but it now appears that Martinez's time in Llanview was never intended to be long-term.

The actor recently wrapped up his stay with the ABC soap.

Ray's appearance in Llanview seems designed to usher in the arrival of two other characters: Ray's wife, Vanessa, and his daughter, Lola. As previously reported by soapcentral.com, Vanessa will be played by Jacqueline Hendy. The role of Lola has just recently been cast, with newcomer Camila Banus landing the part. Banus is a veteran of at least one telenovela, but this will be her first American soap appearance. Vanessa, a show insider whispers, will eventually be paired up with Cristian Vega.

Meanwhile, fans are already expressing disappointment about the imminent departure of Martinez. The actor was greeted at this year's One Life to Live Fan Club Luncheon with a standing ovation. At no time was it indicated that the actor would be exiting in just five weeks.

TVGuide reports that Martinez may return at a later date, if he is available and if storyline warrants a return.

Hendy makes her first appearance on September 16th. Banus debuts on October 3rd.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, did anyone expect Ray to be this long-term character? I expected him to only last a couple months ago, for one, something I noticed about Ron's writing is that alot of the people he brings in who are like Ray, whether they are old or new characters, simply play a role in the bigger plot for other characters. Ray seemed no different, especially with how his character has seemed so far, he just doesn't seem long-term.

• Members

Nothing against A but this storyline isn't interesting at all. And I pity the actress who's going to be forced to work with David Fumero. Daytime needs more Latinos/as but it also needs good Latino/a actors and even more importantly good stories for them

Still, it seems odd that they'd go to all the trouble of casting a big name like A for a somewhat peripheral role they could have cast with an unknown actor. I wonder if there is more to this story. When is Robin Strasser's contract up?

Archived