AMC: Will Pratt Make It Better or at least Watchable?

• Members

Charles ("Chuckie") Pratt is taking over as headwriter on AMC, and veteran soap critic Marlena De Lacroix is hoping he'll write a show which is more intelligent and seriously entertaining. Like the classic Nixon-ian soap was until McTavish came back in 96/97! She finds a lot of a really good actors for Pratt to work with on the show including, a incomparable male cast and some great female talents too. There's a lot of veteran AMC fans who want to go "home" to Pine Valley. Are you one?

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Melrose Place is my all-time favorite nighttime soap, and Charles Pratt was a big part of that. Hearing that he was coming to AMC is why I started watching the show a couple months ago. The past few weeks that his material has started airing, there has been a noticeable difference. The dialogue is much more catty and fun (like MP always was!!). The episodes are quicker paced and I have been a long-time fan of OLTL, but AMC lately has been better to watch! I think Mr. Pratt will get this show back on track and make it the fun escapism that daytime is suppose to be (unlike the constant murder/explosions/mayhem on GH).

• Members

I thought he was an AWFUL fit (Melrose can be fun but it's very different from a Nixon style daytime soap) and I have to admit so far I'm eating my words. My one real prob is I'd liek a bit more sense of family again--families with many generations--but this isn't all his fault. So far he actually has brought back some of the4 tone of the old AMC I missed (funny fantasy segments, odd yet brilliant matching of characters like Petey and Annie, social issues, humour etc)

• Members

I really wish Lorraine Broderick was brought on at least as a consultant. She was like Nixon's Kay Alden. She knew AMC inside and out and wrote such character based storyline. I miss her writing for AMC. I think Pratt is doing alot better then B/E but you need that Broderick touch to really pull AMC up. AMC when Felicia Behr was executive producer was the number 2 daytime soap. AMC needs some big time help.

• Members

AGreed 100%. I';ve heard that she was approahced and turned it down--and also heard gossip that part of the reason was she didn't wanna work under Frons.

I remember AMC was always number two when I started watching in 91 and then one day, maybe in 95 or 96 suddenly it dropped down--Iw as shocked (ratings weren't as consistantly strong under Broderick but I don't blame her).

• Members

I have always liked Pratt.. From Melrose place to General hospital. He seems like a good fit for AMC so far.

and also heard gossip that part of the reason was she didn't wanna work under Frons.

===============================================

Well weather it's true or not Frons still has to leave. :)

• Members

Pratt's doing a good job so far. True, we all thought that about B&E, but they came in with a big event that boosted the show for two weeks. Pratt came in and is making subtle changes -- really working on the STRUCTURE of the show, building the show back up slowly. I'd be more alarmed if Pratt came in and instantly did his tornado stunt, for example. At least we know he's more concerned with building up the stories & characters first before pulling the big events.

Archived