TV and Movie Soundtracks

Cat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a lot to say about Bond--i LOVE the opening themes--but will later

as for Chinatown classic (never saw the sequel though...) And yeah I think that was one of the first scores that really got Goldsmith noticed. He's an absolute fave of mine--or was RIP. THere's all that controversy when they replaced his Legend score with Tangerine Dream's so it's great how the DVD has both options (I actually like both--Tangerine's spooky synth score adds an otherworldly quality even if it's lacking in places) but my sentimental fave is his score for Secret of NIMH. Some surprisingly powerful action cues and softer ones--his love for Stravinsky really shows there--the cue when the tractor revs into power is such a hommage to Rite of Spring! He said he particularly loved writing for animation because it was almost liek writing a ballet--with cartoons the music has to tell more of the story than it usually can with live action (it helps that the experience is already "artificial" so heightened music fits

here's some selections I found

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

I've been looking to buy the rejected score for Gabriel Yared's Troy and up until now I know it hasn't been released on CD. But Wikipedia (yes, of all sources) says that a German label released it.

So if anyone knows any details, let me know. Yared's website doesn't list it. :mellow:

• Members

Anyone knows were I can get Y&R instrumentals? The only release I know is the official soundtrack, but that only includes ballads (some of them brilliantly chilling). Y&R has so many other scores, ones that are used in business stories, mystery, shockers, all that nice stuff. Is there anybody who knows if those are available anywhere?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I LOVE A R Rahman's scoring for Slumdog Millionaire. Truly one of the greatest things about the film, it totally enhances the Indian aspects of the film, while putting a contemporary western spin on things. The songs used in the film are just so fitting and uniquely beautiful.

My favourite score of the bunch is "Latika's Theme." There's so many different layers to this overall score, and amazingly it all works out. It's so romantic and hypnotizing:

(the actual score kicks in 44 seconds in)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295">

Here is this same score with lyrics, this time it's titled "Dreams On Fire."

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295">

• Members

I love Bernard Herrmann who scored a lot of Hitchcock movies. His "North by Northwest" is my ringtone.

Hermann's "Twisted Nerve" is probably one of the most recognizable themes due to its being featured in "Kill Bill".

Whoever said Elmer Bernstein and those scores of his you listed, couldn't agree more. I love his "Airplane" theme, too.

Also, the person who mentioned the "Pearl Harbor" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer! I used to listen to that non-stop.

Michael Giacchino ("LOST", "The Incredibles", "Ratatouille").

I was actually watching "Ratatouille" with my neice and the music immediately made me think of "LOST". That was before I even knew that Giacchino had scored that film.

"A Patch of Blue" by Jerry Goldsmith is so beautiful.

• Members

He does and yes, he is not the only one. The most copied composers are Gustav Holst (specifically Mars from The Planets) and Richard Wagner., who basically invented the whole leitmotiv thing. With Berlioz.

James Horner likes to rip off classics a lot. :D

When are Oscar nominations coming?

Archived