Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

OMG, yes. I was RIVETED to the television throughout this very long, layered, complex, and TERRIFYING storyline. It was truly memorable because Slesar created a character in Keith Whitney/Jonah Lockwood who was believable, not like the cartoon uber-villains we usually see on soaps who twirl their moustaches and get away with absurd, campy nonsense. Jonah Lockward was smart and cunning...and a degenerate psychopath. The plot never descended into camp. It was an adult storyline written with plots twists you never saw coming, and definitely the best suspense/murder mystery story I've ever seen on TV.

The climax of the plot, when Jonah tried to murder Laurie Ann Karr, literally gave me goosebumps!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Now I'm jealous. 

Please register in order to view this content

Why couldn't P&G save their sh-t?! I also think that the political aspect of this story would be so intriguing during a time like this. I went on the EON homepage and reread the whole synopsis of the story and saw that he had delusions of grandeur like Trump does now. Even though Keith/Jonah was a homicidal maniac, I can still see attributes between the 2. Ugh! How I wanna see this story. I wanna see the entire Whitney family arc as they all stayed dying back to back until Sky came onto the scene. 

70s EON seems like it was always must see TV.

• Members

In an interview way back when, Slesar acknowledged that he was more or less given free reign to write what he wanted, with very little interference from TPTB. When intelligent, sophisticated writers are allowed to do what they do best, then we, the audience, are treated to stellar material. Watching the storyline, I was amazed at how complicated and tightly woven it was, with so many exciting incidents and twists and turns along the way. And it went on for so long! Slesar's genius was milking such a plot and playing all the beats so that as the months went by, the suspense and terror started ratcheting higher and higher until it was almost unbearable.

I have always said that the 1970s was the best decade for the soaps, and during those years, Slesar was in top form.

• Members

Not surprised. From reading Lemay's book, P&G finally gave him free reign when they realized he was capable. If networks would seek out the Lemay, Slesar, Nixon, Bell types, they would gain a huge payoff like the used too. 

I hate that soaps destroyed most of their tapes in the 70s b/c that seems like the most daring era of soaps. So sad how this genre has regressed.

• Members

Well, several soaps do have their entire video libraries intact, but sadly, not the P&G or ABC ones.

I agree that if the networks allowed great writers to write adult, complex stories, soaps would be better off, but that does not seem to be in the cards. Soaps have regressed to pablum, offering bland, predictable material designed not to offend of challenge anyone.

I still cannot believe some of the scenes I witnessed, or topics that were broached, backed in the 1970s. We will never get that sort of frank, adult, intelligent material again in today's climate.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

And that's what is sad. We won't get that type of material again on daytime, but we will on primetime, which is profiting well using the daytime model. 

I thought AMC had their entire library? Doesn't Y&R too? 

That aside, EON is a show that P&G should revive as it'd flourish in today's market. Especially during the era of procedurals. This show was so ahead of its time.

• Members

No, AMC does not have most of its 1970s' material.

B&B, DAYS, DARK SHADOWS, RYAN'S HOPE, THE DOCTORS (apparently), and Y&R are the only soaps whose video libraries survive intact, or mostly intact. Maybe PASSIONS (blechhh) and SUNSET BEACH too, since they were produced after the networks started saving soap episodes. 

• Members

Yes, that was another excellent and memorable storyline, with Dorothy Lyman acting her heart out as the deranged and loony Elly Jo Jamison.

The character decided to poison the tea at one point, remarking that God obviously did not mind her murderous ways because He was not doing anything to stop her...a scene that would invoke hysteria in our current politically-correct climate.