August 11-15, 2008

Toups

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Um, what? :huh::huh::huh:

Someone actually reads what I write? You're not joking? lol.

Don't worry, I will do a write up of the latest ratings report soon and I will be introducing another new column for commentary either later tonight or tomorrow. In addition to my new Editor's Notebook column.

Thanks Jess for your input!

Errol

• Members

I doubt it. As someone pointed out the Olympics are slipping this week. And so will Days back to the 1.8-1.9 range.

:lol:

Thus the increase in Days.

Read above. :)

ATWT sucks. They went down...ugh...Goutman and Pissant deserve this and so much more.

OLTL....lol...still with a 1.9. I am surprised it hasnt dropped further. The show is a hot mess.

Y&R is still continuing to lose the momentum they had.

• Members

I haven't watched DOOL in 20 years but during the Olympics I did catch a couple of Days. Marlena looks the same as ever. How does she do that? I saw Drake H, John is his character? He looked good too, and Aniston was on, I think. I had the tv turned to NBC but I did not pay a lot of attention. Looks like plenty of people did the same, but I don't know how that will figure into future ratings.

Toups, thank you once again for the ratings. You are the go-to ratings person and I appreciate it.

• Members

So I know its because of the Olympics, and I am not even a fan, but its so refreshing to see a soap jump like DAYS did this past week. And even though I hate 1968, I'm still happy for OLTL mainting #1 in girls 12-17. I am confident that after this history crap is over, OLTL will return to stellar stories

• Members

Up until this week, Jake and Taylor weren't on 5% of the time. Can't really use that as an argument.

To be quite honest with you, I don't know why AMC has plummeted like they have. The stories aren't bad (certainly not as bad as GL) and the balance of the show has greatly improved. I don't fast forward near as much Kendall as I used to.

• Members

I wonder how much AMC's ratings were damaged by the Olympics? Not that the show isn't a snoozefest, of course. I'm really not holding out much hope for Pratt. It just looks like more of the same. I'm about to just give up on the show after watching all these years. I just don't care anymore. OLTL is little better...just dull and borderline pretentious. Y&R is predictably coming down to earth from its inflated ratings. Like the other shows, it now tells event-driven plots to spike the ratings, which inevitably fall after the event climaxes. Speaking of inflated ratings, as someone above noted, Days will be back in the upper 1's once the Olympics are over. The show is mediocre at best. On the plus side, I've actually kind of been enjoying ATWT. It's hardly a great show, but they do make an effort to keep the show grounded with relatable characters played by attractive yet reasonably real-looking actors and with an emphasis on the vets. Flame me, but even though it's not a wonderful show, I think it's the best one out there right now. Says a lot about the state of daytime.

• Webmaster

Figured some may have wanted to read it...

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/ratin...tings-august-11

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- I've always thought that if you put on quality television with good writing combined with great acting, you'd find yourself well positioned for growth in the Nielsen Ratings. NBCs "Days of our Lives" proved just that during the week of August 11, 2008, when it moved up to 3rd place in the Nielsen rankings, pulling a 2.4/8 in households. Oh, wait...the Olympics were on. Never mind.

With the Summer 2008 Beijing Olympic games as a lead-in, "Days of our Lives" was able to bring in 500,000 more households than they had the week prior, and 400,000 more than at the same point last year. Similarly, 3.1 million viewers tuned into the soap, which was an increase of 629,000 viewers over last week and 514,000 more than last year. The soap was also able to reclaim the #1 position in the coveted Women 18-34 demographic with a 1.1/7, a position it has not held in sometime. While all soaps were up in Girl viewers aged 12-17, "DAYS" was able to place second behind only "One Life to Live" (70,000 viewers vs 72,000) in the demo, which was an increase of 25,000 viewers.

ABC's "All My Children" once again hit series lows as it fell to 6th place in households (tie with "As The World Turns") with a 1.8/6. Only 2.4 million viewers tuned in to see what was happening in Pine Valley, a mere 20,000 viewer advantage over daytime's lowest rated drama "Guiding Light." "Light" placed 8th among all soap operas with a 1.6/5 in households and 2.2 million viewers, a massive decline of 400,000 viewers from last year.

Overall "The Young and the Restless" lost the most viewers year-over-year with 5.1 million viewers, a decline of 469,000 from last year. "The Bold and the Beautiful" lost the least amount of viewers year-over-year with 3.5 million viewers, a decline of just 135,000 viewers.

ABC Daytime handed over the title of biggest loser among the big three networks to CBS, as the network lost just 1 million viewers combined year-to-year, while CBS lost 1.3 million.

Archived