The Brandy Thread

DemetriKane

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Epic Records Readies the Release of 'Human,' the Long Awaited New Full-Length Album from Grammy-Winning R&B/Pop Superstar Brandy

Multi-Platinum Artist's Epic Records Debut Album, 'Human,' Available Online & In Stores Tuesday, November 11

Last update: 5:00 a.m. EDT Aug. 15, 2008

NEW YORK, Aug 15, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Epic Records proudly announces the release of "Human," the new full-length studio album from the multi-platinum-selling Grammy-winning R&B/pop music superstar Brandy, available online and in stores on Tuesday, November 11.

Brandy's Epic Records debut and first new album since 2004's Grammy-nominated RIAA gold-certified "Afrodisiac," "Human" is a bold new collection of songs reflecting the artist's evolution as a musician and an individual.

"'Human' is my most personal album to date," said Brandy. I have grown so much since my last album. Being able to express myself and my journey through my music is a feeling I can't describe. With this new chapter of my life it feels good to have Rodney, a familiar face, by my side again. He brings out emotions in me like nobody else."

Reunited with executive producer Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, who first collaborated with Brandy on her 1998 multi-platinum-selling collection "Never Say Never," Brandy has created the most emotionally resonant album of her career with songs and performances reflecting the truth and complexity of her experiences.

"It feels good to be back in the lab with Brandy again," said Rodney Jerkins. "We've always made great records and I'm humbled and honored to be continuing our legacy. The sound might be new, bigger, and more uplifting but we've kept our musical promise by making great songs and great music once again. There is no musical combination like ours!!!"

The album's title is a real life mirror of Brandy as a woman, an artist, a musician and a performer, communicating what it means to be fully "Human": strong yet vulnerable, candid and triumphant, in love with life and in touch with the things of the spirit.

"Right Here (Departed)," the first single from "Human," will impact Pop radio on September 16. The single and ringtone are scheduled to be released on August 26, with a digital pre-order for the album slated the same day.

Other key tracks on "Human" include "Fall," which Brandy co-wrote with the chart-topping British dance/pop singer/songwriter Natasha Bedingfield, as well as the new songs "Long Distance," "Piano Man," and "Torn Down." Brandy's other musical collaborators on Human include Brian Kennedy (Rihanna/"Disturbia"), emerging production whiz RedOne (Kat DeLuna, 2006 World Cup Official Single "Hips Don't Lie" with Shakira & Wyclef Jean), and James Fauntleroy (Jordin Sparks/"No Air").

Born Brandy Norwood in McComb, Mississippi, Brandy moved to California with her family at the age of 4. She was 15 when her first album, the RIAA 4x platinum certified "Brandy," was released in 1994, generating her first four hit singles: "I Wanna Be Down" (#6 - Hot 100, #1 - R&B); "Baby" (#4 - Hot 100, #1 - R&B); "Best Friend" (#34 - Hot 100, #7 - R&B); and "Brokenhearted" (#9 - Hot 100, #2 - R&B), her duet with Wanya Morris of Boyz II Men.

Her second album, 1998's "Never Say Never," reached #2 on the Billboard Top 200, earned her five Grammy nominations, is certified 5x platinum in the U.S., has sold more than 14 million copies worldwide and introduced "The Boy Is Mine," her runaway smash duet with Monica. The first Brandy single to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, "The Boy Is Mine" remained in the top slot for 13 straight weeks, achieved RIAA double platinum status and took home a host of awards including Billboard's R&B Sales Single of the Year, Billboard's Hot 100 Sales Single of the Year, the MTV Award for Best R&B Video and the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

Her third album, 2002's "Full Moon," hit #1 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart, #2 on the Top 200, and became her third straight platinum-selling album.

Having sold more than 25 million albums worldwide -- with 10.5 million of those in the U.S. alone -- since the beginning of her career, Brandy is one of the top-selling female recording artists in pop music history.

Concurrent with her music career, Brandy has enjoyed ongoing success as an actress, notably as the star of the UPN sitcom "Moesha" and the lead in the two-hour Emmy-winning Disney special "Cinderella" as well as a variety of big-screen roles.

Over the course of her career as a recording artist, musician and actress, Brandy has taken home more than 100 awards worldwide notably:

Billboard Music Award

Best New R&B Artist

Best R&B Female

Best New Clip, Rap, "I Wanna Be Down"

Best New Clip, R&B/Urban, "I Wanna Be Down"

Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards

Favorite Singer

Soul Train Music Awards

R&B-Hip-Hop New Artist of the Year

R&B/Soul Artist, Female, "I Wanna Be Down"

American Music Award

Favorite New Artist Soul/R&B

Blockbuster Entertainment Award

Favorite Female Artist, R&B

Favorite Female-New Artist

BMI Pop Award

"Sittin' Up in My Room"

NAACP Image Award

Outstanding New Artist

Outstanding Youth Actress in a Television Series for "Moesha," Won

Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards

Favorite Song, "Baby"

Favorite Singer

Soul Train Lady of Soul Music Award

Best R&B/Soul New Artist

Best R&B/Soul Album of The Year, Solo, Brandy

Best R&B/Single, Solo, "I Wanna Be Down"

Best R&B/Soul Song of The Year, "I Wanna Be Down"

MTV Movie Award

Best Song from a Film, "Sittin' Up in My Room" (from "Waiting To Exhale")

NAACP Image Award

Outstanding Youth Actor/Actress, "Moesha," Won

Soul Train Music Awards

The Aretha Franklin Award for Entertainer of the Year

Billboard Music Award

Dance Maxi Sales Single of the Year, "The Boy Is Mine"

R&B Sales Single of the Year, "The Boy Is Mine"

Hot 100 Sales Single of Year, "The Boy is Mine"

MTV Europe Music Awards

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, "Moesha," Won

Favorite International Singer, Brandy

BMI Pop Award

for "The Boy Is Mine"

Blockbuster Entertainment Award

Favorite Actress - Horror, "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer"

Grammy Award

Best R&B Performance By a Duo or Group with Vocal, "The Boy Is Mine"

Image Awards

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, "Moesha"

Teen Choice Award

Choice Female Artist

BMI Pop Award

for "Almost Doesn't Count"

for "The Boy Is Mine"

Congress of Racial Equality Awards

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award

Stellar Award

Most Notable Achievement, The Norwood Kids Foundation

BMI Urban Award

for "What about Us?"

2ue5ys6.jpg

24xdq9v.jpg

15ezebm.jpg

2a69pvq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Brandy Says She's 'Older, Wiser' And Ready For A Comeback In Music And TV

After a four-year break, the singer took a more hands-on approach to writing Human.

By Jocelyn Vena

Long before Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez, there was Brandy. The actress/singer grew up in the public eye, hitting the music scene as a teenager and scoring hit singles, Grammy nominations, a sitcom and a slew of movie roles.

Now 29, Brandy has the same motivation she did at 15 when she enters a recording studio: She just wants to make good music that people enjoy. She says her new album, Human, dropping in December, tells stories that people can relate to. "I've always taken my albums very, very seriously," she told MTV News.

"I like to put together a collection of songs that will last 20 years down the line," she said. "With this album, I've just evolved. I'm older, I'm wiser. I wanted to reflect that."

In the past, Brandy usually relied on others to write her songs, but she decided that this time around, she wanted to make it a more collaborative effort.

"I worked with Brian Kennedy, who had two #1 singles," she said. "I also wrote a song with Natasha Bedingfield and Toby Gad, who wrote 'If I Were a Boy.' I don't write that much, and these people brought out a great writer in me. Of course, you have songs that other people write that you can relate to, but when you write it yourself, it just feels like it truly came from you."

She was especially eager to talk about one partnership in particular. "I'm really excited about the Rodney Jerkins collaboration, 'Right Here (Departed), ' " she said of the album's first single. "We've been working together for years, and we didn't work together on my last project, so this feels like a reunion. I can't go wrong with Rodney. I love the vibes."

The album's second single is "Long Distance," about the difficulties of long-distance relationships. "Whether it's a significant other or your daughter, a lot of people are away from the people they love," she said. "I met some lady, and she was telling me her husband is away in Iraq right now. I was like, 'I have the perfect song for you.' Just being in a long-distance relationship, that experience is weird. You're not able to have that time, and you need that time.

"I do have that with my daughter right now because I'm not dating anyone," Brandy added. "I try to keep my mind focused and know I'm doing everything for her. I have to talk to her, like, 20 times a day."

Brandy is not only looking to get back into the music scene after a noticeable absence (her last LP, Afrodisiac, was released in 2004), the former "Moesha" star is also looking to reclaim a spot on prime-time TV. "That's my thing. I love playing one character every week and having the audience grow with my character," she said. "That was so fun, even though reality [TV] is taking over the world. With a good solid show it can work again. I think it's what I'm here to do as well.

"Reality is not for me," she continued. "I don't think I'm that interesting. I need to play someone else."

"And although she's accomplished a lot already, Brandy still has one dream left: to win an Oscar. She even has the project in mind to get her that statue, a remake of "Lady Sings the Blues."

"I would have to play so many different roles in that one role — I would have to bring it," she said. "And you have to live up to Diana Ross, but Diana played my mom once in a movie. I would go to her to study her."

But by now, Brandy has learned that the best things in life come when you least expect them. "I've been off for four years," she said. "I have no reason to be complaining. I just can't wait. It feels like the beginning of my career. I just let things happen in my life. Some guy said in the elevator today, 'Expect nothing, and you will have no disappointment.' "

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1598679/2...05/brandy.jhtml

• Members

Her last album was the first one I really loved and so far the singles from this album have been flawless. I can't wait for this album and I hope she's very successful with it, although I'm doubtful. She's been gone for a while and the singles aren't whats flying up the charts. We'll see.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Brandy Plans Darkchild & Timbaland Collabo On 6th Album

Brandy has worked with two of the biggest producers in the game, Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins and Timbaland. But for her sixth album, the “Right Here (Departed)” songstress wants her cake and plans on eating it too.

Brandy worked mostly with Darkchild on her latest project Human, which was released this week. Prior to that, Timbaland executive produced her critically-acclaimed fourth LP Afrodisiac.

The 29-year-old star recorded with Timbaland for Human, but none of those tracks ended up making the final tracklisting. “One of the reasons why is because it’s hard to get Timbaland’s voice on records, and we really wanted his voice to be on the records,” she tells Rap-Up.com. “It’s not that they’re not good, it’s just that we couldn’t work it out where he could actually be on the album.”

However, that doesn’t mean fans won’t be hearing more Brandy and Timbaland collabos in the future. If the singer has her way, her next album will be executive produced by both hitmakers. “I think I’m gonna work with Timbaland again heavy for my next album. He’s one of the most talented producers, I think, to ever exist,” she disclosed. “I would love to do an album with him and Rodney together, like they actually executive produce it together. That would be a dream of mine.”

Should her dream come true, don’t expect any ego clashing to occur. According to Brandy, “Timbaland is one of Rodney’s favorite producers and Rodney is one of Timbaland’s favorite producers.”

Look for an all-new interview with Brandy in the Winter 08/09 issue of Rap-Up, on sale later this month.

http://www.rap-up.com/2008/12/11/brandy-wa...imbaland-album/

• 1 month later...

Archived