Sign in to follow this  
ranger1rg

Bright Promise

bpcastc.jpgDana Andrews, Susan Brown,Colleen Gray, Marion Brash and Dusan Darrowbpcast2.jpg

Susan Brown, Mark Miller, Gail Kobe, John Considine

wpaul.jpg

Susan Brown, Paul Lukather

Edited by Paul Raven

This is wonderful. I've never seen any of these.

Why were Susan and Paul wearing matching shirts? I hate that.

From Daytime TV Yearbook 1970

CAST:

Dana Andrews as Thomas Boswell

Tod Andrews as Henry Pierce

Susan Brown as Martha Ferguson

Marion Brash as Marian

Richard Eastham as Red Wilson

Ruth McDevitt as Clara

Gary Pillar as Chet Matthews

Susannah Darrow as Sandra

Paul Lukather as Bill

Eric James as Jim

Nigel McKeand as George Townley

David Lewis as Henry

David Pritchard as Dave

Peter Ratray as Stu

Nancy Stephens as Jennifer

Kimetha Laurie as Fay

Gail Kobe as Ann Boyd

Daytime TV 1971

CAST:

Paul Lukather as Prof. Bill Ferguson

Anne Jeffreys as Sylvia Bancroft

Mark Miller as Howard Jones

Gail Kobe as Ann Boyd Jones

Susan Brown as Martha Ferguson

Pamela Murphy as Sandra Jones Pierce

Peter Ratray as Stuart Pierce

David Lewis as Henry Pierce

Richard Eastham as Red Wilson

Marion Brash as Marian Connally

Dabney Coleman as Dr. Tracy Graham

Tony Geary as David Lockhart

Jennifer Leak as Elaine Bancroft

Lesley Woods as Isabel Jones

CREDITS:

Executive Producers: Frank & Doris Hursley

Producer: Jerry Layton

Associate Producer: Gloria Monty

Directors: Gloria Monty & Frank Pacelli

Writers: Frank & Doris Hursley

Production Assistant: Nancy Funk

Produced By: Bing Crosby-Frandor Productions in association with NBC-TV

Unit Manager: Robert Shannon

Originator: NBC-TV Color Studios, Burbank, Calif.

NBC Press Reps: Warren L. Baxter (Burbank), Al Husted (New York)

Edited by Paul Raven

From left to right

???????

Colleen Gray (Ann Boyd #1)

David Lewis (Henry Pierce #2)

Dana Andrews (Tom Boswell)

Peter Ratray (Stuart Pierce)

Susannah Darrow (Sandy Jones #1)

Marian Brash (Marion Connelly)

Susan Brown (Martha Ferguson)

Paul Lukather (Bill Ferguson)

This picture is from the show's first six months as Coleen Gray wasn't on much longer than that. This does help to pinpoint when Peter Ratray first appeared on the serial.

This is from the November 1971 Afternoon TV. I'll post the photo first then type the article. It's probably already known by the BP fans here but it talks about the circumstances of Anne Jeffreys' departure, which wasn't well-handled, to say the least.

ATV1171001.jpg

This is a Nicole Peters column.

What a sad-happy item to start this month's column! Lovely Regina Gleason has taken over the role of Sylvia Bancroft on "Bright Promise" and as you all know by now, and it couldn't happen to a nicer girl, except one. And that is beautiful Anne Jeffreys, who was abruptly fired out of the part, between her early morning rehearsal and showtime one Friday morning. Totally unsuspecting, just two days before, Anne had been asked to meet with the management to discuss "how to approach the changes that were going to be made in the part of Sylvia." At the same time they discussed the details of renegotiating her contract, a rather standard procedure. All seemed well.

Then came Friday, and Anne happily said, "Good morning," to all her fellow workers, and unsuspectingly settled down to rehearsing the show to be shot that day (shown the following Thursday, July 1, 1971). Then some time between rehearsal and taping, the managers apparently wanted to talk to Anne again. This time all was not well - and she was practically let go on the spot!

Shaken, Anne returned to the set and she told her director, "This is my last show, I understand."

That gentleman laughed and said, "Of course, Anne, it's Friday. It's the last show of the week for all of us."

Apparently, no one had told him, either!

Cast and crew could not believe Anne. Her director, who's handled some of the greatest stars in show business (including Mae West, Lucille Ball and Jeanette MacDonald and many others) admitted that he had to turn his head away to force back his tears when she truly convinced him that she had been fired. Anne's husband Robert Sterling hurried over to NBC to be with her.

All the people in the entertainment world know it's a cruel business. But it doesn't have to be that cruel. Anne was very popular with her colleagues, and there could have been some advance notice given her in a more civil way (She is not unique: Claire and Peter Larkin, on "Days of Our Lives," were just as abruptly erased in much the same fashion, but at least they were not "replaced." They were simply written out, and never had a chance to even say, "Nice working with you," to all the friends they had made on the show. They were simply telephoned by the management and then they never returned.)

We called Anne, and she spoke haltingly, but with dignity. "They told me they didn't like the way I was playing the part. It seems strange they didn't tell me a little earlier. I could have changed it." Indeed, she could have. She is a fine actress. "Perhaps it was the ratings, the same as Dana Andrews," she said rather bewilderedly.

In all fairness to my old pal Regina Gleason (she had been to my home only a week before, with her darling little daughter Julia) it is almost certain that she did not know that she was auditioning for Anne's job the day before Anne was fired. Almost everyone understood that she was testing, along with June Vincent, for the part of Dr. Winniger. June got Dr. Winniger and Regina got Sylvia Bancroft!

We are delighted for sweet Regina, of course, but heartbroken for Anne. We can understand why Anne's husband, Robert Sterling, almost came to blows with one of the producers in the NBC hallway, when the producer became enraged that Anne had the gall to "tell people" she was fired. Anne wanted to at least say goodbye to her co-workers and all the friends she had made, and Bob Sterling felt that was the least they could allow his lovely wife. Good luck, Regina, it is a marvelous part, and we know you will be wonderful in it. But take care, honey. And we know we'll be seeing you again, Anne, and soon.

True, although I was a bit shocked at the part of her husband almost getting into a brawl with a producer. Between this and Dana Andrews I wonder what the set was like...

That's a nice cover. I didn't know if she'd ever made any soap magazine covers. I think they had one other, can't remember who though.