The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I got a kick out of watching the surgical monitor that Steve was working at during the surgery. That equipment was obviously state of the art in 1968 - now it looks positively antiquated!!!

Does anyone know how long Kathleen Murray lasted on TD? Bethel's name is still in the credits (Kathleen Murray's isn't, at least not yet.)

Also, I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. Those of you who watched Lydia Bruce's Maggie - what was she like compared to Bethel's Maggie? Did she have that droll delivery and side eye, or was she warmer and softer? We still have a ways to go before she comes on and I can't find anything of her on YT.

• Members

I don't remember Lydia Bruce playing Maggie as sarcastic but my best memories of her are from the 70s so she could have changed over the years. I always sort of thought of Matt and Maggie as the patriarchal/matriarchal figures because they seemed old (lol) to me at the time compared to the other characters (and myself).

Kathleen Murray reminded me very much of Ann Williams.

• Members

That could very well be. Although I'm not overly familiar with Walther, she would be the right age and had previously played Patti Tate on SFT for a period and this would've been right before she was on another NBC soap "Hidden Faces". A very quick image search on Google turns up this photograph for comparison.

26225.jpgdoctorslydiapost_zpsdfc5edd4.jpg

Edited by Matt

• Members

I would say that was almost definitely her. I'm still kind of stunned I didn't catch Lanna Saunders as the other niece as well! Such great actresses in such short-term roles. They really were spoiled in this era.

Already missing Bethel Leslie as Maggie. There's something so very mature, commanding, and yet so vulnerable about Bethel Leslie's Maggie that I find so very compelling. I hope Lydia Bruce wows me the same way once she appears. Quite tragic Kathleen Murray's story. Had she been struggling with her illness by this point, or did she rapidly deteriorate? Had she been diagnosed at this point, if anyone knows?

• Members

I couldn't find much info on Kathleen Murray, so I have no way of knowing if she was already ill when she filled in on TD. I am already familiar with the story of Kitty Foyle, having watched the 1940 movie that starred Ginger Rogers in the title role (and won her an Oscar).

Also, I missed Bethel Leslie in the second episode. Your assessment of her portrayal of Maggie is right on the money. But I am eager to see Lydia Bruce as well.