The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Looks like 'Little Boy Doctor' pulled off a miracle- I won't say more, but it was great!  Steve, you rat- how on earth can you be kin to Joh Rice?  Carolee sees herself as an 'old maid', but she is anything but!  I wish she had told Steve off.  Liz, don't you remember when you were the third wheel with Nick and Althea?  You should know better......

• Members

Carolee Campbell played Carolee Simpson until 1976 when she left the show. There was a brief period when the character was off screen (and explained in storyline, which I'm not sure if I should spoiler) before Jada Rowland took over in the second half of the year.

• Members

I just found this treasure - a recent chat with several ATWT stars, including Liz Hubbard, who also talks about her time on TD. She shares several anecdotes about the show - which apparently she is watching along with the rest of us! - and some precious memories of Gerald Gordon. She comes in around the 11:30 mark. Enjoy!!

Sorry - I can't get the video to embed for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xctzdfy8BVA#t=1045

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Here's a great article from Roger Newcomb, published 10/25/2014:

http://www.serialscoop.com/2014/10/5-reasons-to-watch-doctors-on-retro-tv_25.html

5 Reasons to Watch 'The Doctors' on Retro TV

Daytime soap opera The Doctors ran on NBC from 1963 to 1982. In September, the show returned in reruns on digital channel Retro TV, starting with the December 4, 1967 episode. As of Friday, we are up to January 29, 1968, and The Doctors ("in living color") has been a pure delight. There are many reasons to love it, including Rita Lakin's smart and funny scripts that allow stories to be told about educated, intelligent characters who just happen to be very flawed. Viewers also get to see the original NBC logo and tags (including "stay tuned to Another World, next in color"). Below are five more reasons to watch back-to-back episodes of The Doctors weekdays from 12-1 p.m. ET on Retro TV:

5. Dr. John Rice's relationship with Polly Merriweather.

Polly Merriweather (Betty Walker) is a terminal patient at Hope Memorial being treated by Dr. John Rice (Terry Kiser). Over time the two have formed a close bond as she talks about her nieces, that have not visited her, and who she should leave her fortune to after she's gone. John has grown to really care Polly beyond the typical doctor-patient relationship. Their sweet exchanges always warm viewers hearts. If only there was a way to save Polly.

4. Nurse Carolee Simpson.

Carolee Campbell sparkles as Carolee Simpson, R.N. Whether Nurse Simpson is trying to convince Liz Wilson (Pamela Toll) not to kill herself, joking around with Dr. John Rice or flirting with Dr. Steve Aldrich (David O'Brien), Carolee's warmth and charisma always shine through. Her dark side only comes out when the phones at the nurse's station ring too much.

3. Bethel Leslie's Reactions as Dr. Maggie Powers.

Most fans of The Doctors think of Lydia Bruce when the character of Dr. Maggie Powers comes to mind but Bethel Leslie has been a pure joy to watch. Her reactions to all the drama that goes on around her, including in her own home, are priceless. Leslie's time on the soap will be coming to an end soon so watch her while you can. Her side eye, especially when it comes to Dr. Karen Werner (Laryssa Lauret), who is smitten with Maggie's husband, is worth the price of admission alone.

2. Emmy winner James Pritchett as Dr. Matt Powers, the man in charge at Hope Memorial Hospital.

James Pritchett's Dr. Matt Powers is calm, cool and mostly collected as he runs Hope Memorial and deals with a eclectic group of doctors and nurses, as well as the stuffy board of directors. If Pritchett's compelling performances aren't enough reason to tune in, his regular use of props, especially Matt's pipe, is always mesmerizing. Yes, characters at the hospital regularly smoke. Pritchett was named Outstanding Actor at the Daytime Emmys in 1978 for his work on the show.

1. Emmy winner Elizabeth Hubbard shines in the role of Dr. Althea Davis.

Elizabeth Hubbard was named Outstanding Actress at the very first Daytime Emmy Awards in 1974 for her work as Dr. Althea Davis in The Doctors, and was nominated nine times as Lucinda Walsh in As the World Turns. She is considered by fans of daytime drama to be one of the best actresses of all-time and yet she is still a revelation in the 1967/1968 episodes of The Doctors. Althea's relationship with Dr. Nick Bellini (Gerald Gordon) is pure magic. Gordon and Hubbard have explosive onscreen chemistry that makes them one of the best pairings in soap opera history. When Althea was about to be dismissed from her job for being pregnant and unmarried, thanks to a morals clause in her contract, she immediately called Matt out on the double standard of her being fired but not Nick, the baby's father. "He's not pregnant," Matt explained. Althea fumed. Dynamic, powerful, intelligent, vulnerable, Dr. Althea Davis is the best character on Daytime TV once again.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

In this essay posted on 10/27/2014, Serial Scoop pays tribute to James Pritchett on what would have been his 92nd birthday:

http://www.serialscoop.com/2014/10/james-pritchett-remembered-emmy-winning.html

James Pritchett Remembered, Emmy-Winning Actor Was Born 92 Years Ago Today

During his 19 year run on NBC soap opera The Doctors (1963-1982), actor James Pritchett received critical praise, passionate fan support, and even a Daytime Emmy Award in 1978. His Dr. Matt Powers was Chief of Staff at Hope Memorial, the leader of a group of talented but flawed doctors, husband to Maggie, friend and confidant. Pritchett is now winning over a whole new generation of fans who are tuning in for The Doctors repeats on Retro TV, with episodes from 1968 currently airing weekdays from 12-1 p.m. ET. Two months of story is in the books and Matt is regularly sharing memorable moments with Maggie (Bethel Leslie), Althea (Elizabeth Hubbard), Nick (Gerald Gordon) and more.

James Turner Pritchett Jr. was born on October 27, 1922, in Lenoir, North Carolina. Today would have been his 92nd birthday.

The Lenoir native came to University of North Carolina in 1940, leaving his studies in 1942 to join the Army Air Forces during World War II. Pritchett continued his education at the University of Chicago, earning a bachelor’s degree in meteorology. He then completed his undergraduate degree at Carolina, following a family tradition that began with his father.

Pritchett went on to earn a law degree from Carolina in 1949, and worked for his father's practice in Lenoir for two years.

"I was not happy practicing law," he said. So while he handled corporate work for local savings and loans and furniture mills during the day, at night Pritchett’s quest for creative expression was realized at Hickory’s Little Theatre.

Encouraged by local audiences and a yearning to perform, Pritchett wanted to learn more about the art of acting and returned to Carolina for a master’s in dramatic art. Before he finished his thesis, Pritchett worked in stock theaters across the country in Colorado, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

"I'd been acting since the sixth grade when I played Prince Charming. I decided to do what I liked best," he said.

He worked extensively in regional theater throughout his life, and appeared in numerous television commercials and film.

He met his wife Cynthia Arnold when they starred together in a 1955 production of "Guys and Dolls" at the Barn Theatre in her home state of Michigan.

He appeared on Broadway in "Two for the Seesaw" in 1959 and "Sail Away" in 1961- 62, and in national tours of "Auntie Mame" with Sylvia Sydney in 1958 and "Other People’s Money" with Tony Lo Bianco in 1991.

He also shared top billing with Geraldine Page and E.G. Mar­shall in Eugene O'Neill’s "De­sire Under the Elms," which played in 1956 at the Stude­baker Theater in Chicago.

He was a devoted family man, sharing with his family his zeal for travel, and love of nature and sports.

"We had three beautiful children, and he was a very, very good father," Cynthia Pritchett told MLive.com.

"His spare time was spent with his family," she added. "We had a great place out in the country and we spent all our extra time there, except when we were traveling, which we did a lot of, and we took our kids a good share of the time."

Before becoming the lead in The Doctors, Pritchett played roles in two other daytime drama. He starred as Jeff Nichols in The Secret Storm (1960-1961), then Bruce Elliott on As the World Turns. Bruce had an affair with Lisa (Eileen Fulton), who was very married to Dr. Bob Hughes (Don Hastings) at the time.

In the late '80s, Pritchett made appearances on All My Children and Guiding Light.

Pritchett died on March 15, 2011. He was 88.

A few weeks later, Pritchett's former The Doctors co-star Alec Baldwin paid tribute to the actor in a piece he wrote for Huffington Post.

"Pritchett played my father-in-law on the show," Baldwin said. "Soap operas are tough to act and tougher to write. How do you come up with something fresh and worthy every day? From Jim, I learned that, whatever the material, just listen and remember your cue. Jim, who in his youth bore an uncanny resemblance to Burt Reynolds, was a true gentleman. In 1997, I cast him in a film I produced called The Confession, with Sir Ben Kingsley. You'd be lucky if someone like Jim was the judge in your courtroom. He was a lovely and talented man."

Pritchett described his beloved TV doctor in a Carolina alumni magazine feature nearly 20 years after The Doctors went off the air.

"Matt Powers character was the salt of the earth, the straight arrow, the tent pole of the cast while all of this hanky-panky was going on around him."

• Members

She is definitely one of a kind! I love that she and Gerald Gordon were good friends and remained so until he passed away - and her stories about his many trips to Vegas!!

I would definitely love to write to her and tell her how much I am enjoying her as Althea. Does anyone know a current address where she can be reached - agency, manager's office, etc.?

• Members

Thank you. I'll keep looking as well.

Today's episodes were especially riveting as we get to see actual consulting on a risky surgery - viewing x-rays, putting together an assisting team, etc. It will be even more interesting to see the doctors in surgery, which we haven't seen yet.

I have to admit, in every episode I always watch to see if a camera will find its way into the shot. Indeed, in the second episode, practically the whole camera was in the shot on Maggie as she and Nick prepare to leave Matt's office!!

Once again, everyone's favorite character aka Karen Werner, has managed to upset the apple cart. Am I the only one who wants to see Maggie literally scratch Karen's eyes out? LOL Alas, Matt still doesn't have a clue. Maybe Nathan Bunker should be the one to tell him that Dr. Werner has the hots for him. Matt knows enough about Bunker to know he always tells it like it is!!!

• Members

From "Afternoon TV"- December 1969

Jim Pritchett's Fish Saute Meuniere

Trout or sole 6 to 8 oz. each

Salt and Pepper

Milk

Flour

1/2 cup butter

juice of 1/2 cup lemon

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley

8 thin slices of lemon

Season the cleaned trout (or filet of sole) with salt and pepper, dip in milk, and roll in flour.  Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, arrange fish in it, and fry them slowly, uncovered, about three minutes or until brown.  Turn them over and fry another three minutes.  Arrange them on a hot serving platter and sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley.  Put remaining butter in a pan, heat until golden brown, and pour over fish.  Place a slice of lemon on each fish. (Serves 8).

Edited by Avatar610