The Doctors

• Members

This is one reason why NBC DAYTIME would start a remarkable ratings run that lasted for the next decade. AW, TDRS, and DAYS all specialized in 'pushing the envelope' drama wise, as opposed to the more conservative CBS shows (SS being the exception as it wasn't a P&G show, and was known for daring plotlines). ABC started out with GH (and indeed it was a 'kinder, gentler' medical soap - and it actually had live organ music!) but soon made a name for itself with the category-by-itself DS, which grabbed the teen audience.

By 1978, the ABC shows (OLTL and AMC now added to the lineup) were the new trendsetters, and behind-the-scene changes at all the NBC shows (key actors leaving, changes in writers and producers) led to the ratings downfall of those once-influential pioneers.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thursday, December 21, 1967 #1318

Steve & Carolee are THE cuteness! I can't stand it. The music box was such a great way of showing a part of who Carolee is. Her excitement was so touching to watch. On the other hand, Carolee showing it to Althea was haunting. And, so exciting, I smell a Liz/Carolee/Steve triangle!

Nick finally tells Liz he won't be marrying her. YES! Chit is about to go down.

• Members

I was going through this thread again at random

points and was shocked when I came across a post which said that Peter Burnell (he joined as Mike in 1968) had committed suicide. I was in a production of Macbeth with him at Lincoln Center in 1974. I remember running into a good friend of his who told me he'd just had a "very bad" medical diagnosis. Another friend told me it was an AIDS-related illness and that's what I assumed he'd died from. If it's really true that he actually hung himself then it is enormously sad.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

On the episode of The Doctors that aired on Friday, January 12, 1968, there is a young candy striper who is seen getting onto the elevator at the prologue of the episode. She is then told by Althea that she has been a great help and also asked by Althea to place a sigh on the door.

The candy striper is played by actress Faith Catlin, the original Dr. Faith Coleridge when Ryan's Hope premiered seven years later. She was my favorite actress who played the role of Faith.

She would have been eighteen years old when this episode was taped.

• Members

The first episode featured an explosive, juicy scene with Althea, Nick and Liz. I was surprised Althea didn't haul off and slap Liz!!

Wasn't that creepy reporter (Nathan Bunker) on one of these episodes before? He's one of those guys you would cover your face and cross the street to avoid. Surprised he isn't a lawyer. LOL

I didn't recognize Faith Catlin - I'll have to go back and watch it again. I also enjoyed seeing those vintage M&M and Colgate ads - especially since Colgate owned the show. I read that NBC bought the show in 1980, but Colgate-Palmolive still remained its top sponsor.

• Members

This Nathan Bunker is obviously a knock-off of the Martin Peyton character from Peyton Place. That show was Rita Lakin's previous job prior to The Doctors. I'm surprised she would steal from her old show. Dr Winters is such an idiot- he's a psychiatrist and he can't even see that his own wife is on the verge of a breakdown! I feel he won't be on staff much longer….. Carolee Campbell is amazing- no wonder she went from an extra to a leading lady within a few years!

Regarding Althea's late son: Althea and Nick were out of town having a romantic getaway when her little boy came down with meningitis and suddenly died. Apparently this was the cause for their breakup (she felt guilty about not being there for Buddy) and this was when Nick and Liz got together. That plotline reminded me of "Mildred Pierce" with Mildred having a tryst with Monte as her youngest daughter has a fatal case of pneumonia.

It was interesting to see the vintage commercials, but I was hoping to see a promo for either DAYS or AW with a clip or two.

• Members

Carolee Campbell is indeed a joy to watch! Her character is really the only one who is just like an everyday person, who the viewers would want to be friends with. She is generous, kind, funny and also not afraid to speak her mind. Plus, when she falls in love - she falls hard!!!

Speaking of Carolee Campbell, wouldn't it be awesome if Retro TV rounded up her, Liz Hubbard, Pamela Toll, Terry Kiser and Laryssa Lauret to do promo spots? MeTV has done that with cast members of vintage shows. I wonder how many of the still-living cast members from that era other than Liz Hubbard are aware that TD is airing again.

• Members

I absolutely hate this Norman Bunker character but I do wonder where they are going with this.

Carolee and Liz's friendship has been a nice twist. The idea of them as roommates was genius.

Althea's therapy session was truly nice it was great to see her finally open up about her sons death and what caused her break up with Nick. I like how much in denial she is that she ever loved him.

I don't want to spoil the story if it hasn't already aired but has the story with Phillip Townsend and Liz already aired? Phillip is listed in the February 1968 script posted earlier in the thread but hasn't been seen yet. Then again the story of Liz drugging herself is what led to the Phillip story and that apparently happened in 1967.

• Members

I think this Norman guy is going to figure out what happened between Nick and Althea - and he's going to wear Liz down to do it.

I hope Liz will reconsider and move back in with Carolee. Also, I like the fact that she doesn't take what happened with Steve at the end of their date night out on Liz or blames her for it.

Also, Ruth needs HELP and FAST!!! Her accosting that pregnant lady was truly disturbing.

• Members

Rita Lakin has taken a break from her mystery novels to pen a memoir 'The Only Woman in the Room' about her years writing for television in a male dominated industry.Let's hope she talks about 'The Doctors'.

Although she never wrote another soap,she was behind several proposed soaps 'Salem Village','An Affair to Remember' and 'Young Loves of General Hospital'.