The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They said in the comments that if the stream keeps having problems like it did today they may not do it anymore so if you have Youtube you may want to leave them a kind comment or a PM.

For 1967, the characters seem very complex and believable. And the show is very blase about Althea being pregnant outside of marriage, although I guess she loses that baby.

Liz Hubbard is just luminous, and so quirky and interesting as Althea.

You get a quick glimpse at the comedy bit with Carolee, which is one of the things that helped get her noticed with fans and gave her more airtime on the show.

The show looks good. Dark Shadows looked a little rough and rushed in color for quite a while.

I like that we get a beauty shot too, and with some comedy (the orderlies reenacting the fight).

Never seen Bethel Leslie as Maggie. She's OK, if not as distinctive as Lydia Bruce.

• Members

I didn't know Allen Potter was at TD as early as 1967. He seemed to be a quite an successful EP for the show and I wonder if he had remained EP throughout the 70s if it would have remained on air a bit longer.

It's amazing seeing a different actress portray Maggie and getting to see Dr. John Rice. What was the story behind Althea's pregnancy out of wedlock?

• Members

I must have seen her but I don't really have any specific memories of Bethel Leslie as Maggie either. I also don't remember Nick being engaged to Liz (I'm assuming this is Liz Wilson they're referring too). But I'm beyond thrilled to see this since I never thought I would ever see so much as a clip again.

• Members

Wow! I'll be watching later tonight!! What's with all the weird fades to blue? I'm guessing that's where sponsor tags might have been?

Glancing through some of the episode...this show's atmosphere is very strong! The things playing out at the hospital are deliciously contrasted by the scene with Maggie and Althea, which lasts a whopping 10 minutes.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I liked Bethel Leslie as Maggie. I'm not overly familiar with the actress but was she a popular actress of the period? I ask because she got the closing cast credit.

One thing really stood out to me in the Maggie/Althea scene and that was Bethel's body language. When Elizabeth Hubbard sat down on the couch, Leslie leaned far away from her. I found it very curious to watch.

• Members

So used to seeing clips of shows from this era in grainy B&W ,the color and print looks great.

And to see the cast so young and pretty.

Bethel Leslie got special billing.Was she on for two years?

At this time you had NBC offering Bill Bell's Days,then TD followed by Agnes Nixon's AW.Credit to the NBC execs who perservered with these three shows and turned them around by putting top notch writers/producers in charge.

• Members

I watched the show above.

I wondered about the music. Does anyone know who scored it? Could the composer possibly have been Robert Costello?

Bethel Leslie reminded me of Eileen Letchworth (Love of Life, All My Children). I wonder if she was considered for the role of Althea when Ms. Leslie departed the show?

For many years, I had not known that Terry Kiser had been on another soap opera prior to The Secret Storm. I am seeing him here, and this role seems to be more dramatic than that of Sean on The Secret Storm (that I remember).

It is good to see Jim Pritchett here. I remember him well from Bruce on As the World Turns, and it is interesting to see what he did after he left that role.