The Doctors

• Members

Thank you

Please register in order to view this content

I remember a news clipping of NBC trumpeting that Mel & Ethel had been signed to an exclusive contract by the network and would be working on one of their soaps. They never headwrote again, I don't think -  but did work on writing staffs of other soaps over the years.

I get the impression that they followed through on a lot of Marland's outlines as there weren't many radical changes in their tenure.

Here's another bit of nostalgia

doctors-soap-opera-vintage-nbc-tv_1_bfff

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So has there been any noticeable changes with the change of head-writer?  The changes were obvious when it went from the Pollacks to Cenderella to Depriest to Marland... so just curious if there was a noticeable change with these new writers?  

I think in a few months time, Grover will take over.. and from what I read.. she made an effort to write a good show.. but was in over her head... we shall see if my impression of her will hold true.  I honestly assumed that Depriest would be lousy on this show and she was well above average.. and I assumed Marland would tighten up the show (since he wrote some strong hospital content on ATWT and GH)... and he was lousy on this show.

• Members

Most people on the soap boards are saying they don't see a noticeable difference, largely because the same dialogue writers are in place. The Brezes' writing credit is different from previous head writers. They're billed as "Story by Mel and Ethel Brez." If I remember correctly, Mel was one of three co-head writers on ATWT in the 90s.

• Members

Hi - I'm interested in these posts; I played Lynn Nelson on "Love of Life," under my prior name of Andrea Martin, and since had changed my name to Amanda Trees due to another actress in the media with the same name!  (I was advised to choose to be known under a different name, and kept my middle name of Christine the same.)  I played the half sister of Sandy Porter, played by Bonnie Bedelia.  Tammy Porter was the real mother I had searched high and low for, as she had to give me up at birth due to no way to support me and still follow her dreams of being in theater.  Lynn, a runaway teen searching valiantly for her mom, finally did find her - only to realize so many trials and tribulations in trying to work out a whole new relationship with her.  Vanessa Sterling stepped in and had me move into her home, thinking she could guide me into settling into life with a family.  Anyhow, over a period of time I noticed a few anthologies were written about soap opera history, and for some odd reason, my character was left out.  I was very active in the plot lines, and had many stories that were written involving all the other characters, so I'm just saying "hello" now, thinking to weave back together some of the tapestries of my life with you guys.  I'm doing music now, piano and writing, and singing.  My website is amandatreesmusic.com

• Members

Hi @Musical Soap Lady.  I found this on newspapers.com, from The Detroit Free Press.  Some folks in the Love of Life thread might remember you.  I didn’t start watching LoL until the 70s, unfortunately.  Would love to hear your remembrances.

Edited by jam6242

• Members

Welcome @Musical Soap Lady!   I would love to hear about your years on LOL. Did you do any other soap roles? Were you Barbara Harper on The Doctors in 1968? What years were you on LOL?  I have you credited in 1965, but information about LOL is spotty.  (Cancelled Soaps Cast Lists and Character Guides Thread page 57).

Looking forward to hearing your stories.

• Members

How nice of you to post.

As you might have gathered, there are a few of us who appreciate the lost history of soaps.

Anything you can recall about your time would be most appreciated.

Yes, all the storyline you detailed has never been mentioned in histories of the show, so anything else you can add would be most welcome.