MichaelGL

The Doctors

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I’ve finally reached the Pollocks material. Not much of a difference so far, they’re still dealing with Rico and the fallout of Julie’s death. Two quick changes are bringing Cathy more to the forefront and Althea is back, although not in Madison. I’ll admit to being worried about seeing Althea. The character was so draining that I’m not sure I trust how she’ll be written. Nick has been so delightful with Rico and Stella and her return has potential to drag him down again. They’ve become such a toxic couple. 

The first two or three years of the Pollock's tenure is quite good.. but by 1974, they start running out of steam.

More like, they start running out of psychos. ;)

But seriously, I couldn't make it all the way through the Pollocks' stuff, because their stories were so plot-driven that (IMO) it made the characters exasperating to watch.

The Pollocks were very plot driven with Dynasty and The Colbys (although not as much) so that doesn’t surprise me. Knowing them from those shows and knowing how different The Doctors is, it’ll be interesting to see how this works. 

Now a question for those watching the current episodes, any early thoughts on Jada Rowland as Carolee? I’ve seen one or two episodes with her and visually she seems fine, but more like a traditional heroine. Carolee Campbell was a unique find so that doesn’t surprise me, but she seems like she’ll be fine. I do commend Carolee Campbell for creating such a unique and interesting character from a day player role. Because the show was canceled in the 80s she doesn’t get the credit she deserves for being a daytime great. I especially love her now that her mom has been introduced. They should’ve brought her mom back later, unless they killed her off. I’m not sure how she’s written off. 

ETA: 

Theyve wrapped up the story of Julie’s death and seem to be setting up their new stories, namely Althea’s return. I was happy to see her go despite Virginia Vestoff’s fantastic performances, but just a few episodes in and I’m sick of her again. No flashbacks yet, but the majority of her scenes are fantasies or dream sequences which bore me to death. It does nothing to move the story forward or make me look forward to her return to Madison. I wish they had cast an actor to work with her in the out of town scenes so we could learn her perspective on things in a more organic way than this. 

So far these Pollocks are getting a side eye from me. 

Edited by Chris B

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

The Pollocks were very plot driven with Dynasty and The Colbys (although not as much) so that doesn’t surprise me. Knowing them from those shows and knowing how different The Doctors is, it’ll be interesting to see how this works. 

Now a question for those watching the current episodes, any early thoughts on Jada Rowland as Carolee? I’ve seen one or two episodes with her and visually she seems fine, but more like a traditional heroine. Carolee Campbell was a unique find so that doesn’t surprise me, but she seems like she’ll be fine. I do commend Carolee Campbell for creating such a unique and interesting character from a day player role. Because the show was canceled in the 80s she doesn’t get the credit she deserves for being a daytime great. I especially love her now that her mom has been introduced. They should’ve brought her mom back later, unless they killed her off. I’m not sure how she’s written off. 

ETA: 

Theyve wrapped up the story of Julie’s death and seem to be setting up their new stories, namely Althea’s return. I was happy to see her go despite Virginia Vestoff’s fantastic performances, but just a few episodes in and I’m sick of her again. No flashbacks yet, but the majority of her scenes are fantasies or dream sequences which bore me to death. It does nothing to move the story forward or make me look forward to her return to Madison. I wish they had cast an actor to work with her in the out of town scenes so we could learn her perspective on things in a more organic way than this. 

Jada hasn't done much yet as Carolee...she's basically been catatonic with a brief second where she called out Steve's name.  She does resemble Carolee Campbell..but she has a more fragile aura than CC ever had.  I dont think we will be getting sarcasm or one liners anymore once she comes out of her current mental state.

Oh I forgot Althea's return in late 1970 had lots of flashbacks and wait till her therapy sessions during that period.  

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

ETA: 

Spoiler

Althea will have endless flashbacks of her time with John aboard the cruise ship.

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

ETA: 

Carolee's mom Emma is still alive. I think she's written out in late 1972/early 1973. I was so disappointed as I adored the character (she reminded me so much of my late mother). From what I've read, Emma does show up in late 1976. She also returns in 1977 or 1978 for a wedding.