The Doctors

• Members

I think the joan/pull the plug story is one of the shows stronger stories...an umbrella story.  Perhaps he couldn't get a handle on it since it appears he takes over after the story is in full swing.

I was actually don't get why Depriest was replaced...she seems to get the show..and in dreading Marland coming in (though maybe since it was his first soap..none of his annoying traits were formed yet).

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m now at the beginning of August 1970, so about a month until the Pollocks arrive. After the slow Ira Avery stint I’ve been loving the show since Stanley Silverman joined. It’s much tighter and the pacing is good. 

I’ve heard Dan becomes a villain, which I can’t see thus far. He’s a great leading man who could have legs (no pun intended). I’m hoping the story where he becomes a villain is worth it. I think he has good chemistry with Carolee and I love Billy and the tension with Steve. I know Steve is the one we’re supposed to root for but I still remember him raping Karen and the Mess with Althea. I’ve softened to him, but he deserves to have to wait and fight for Carolee. 

Greta is somehow my favorite character. I thought when the rabbit story was wrapped up that would be it for her, but she’s still a little terror stealing from her entire family. This is a better use of Maggie than that story and boring story with the boy in the hospital. Literally everybody in that household is involved which is how a soap story should be. 

When the Pollocks arrive they’re lucky because they’re inheriting a show in good shape. I loved their work on Dynasty and The Colbys so I’m curious to see what they do. 

• Members

Eileen Kearney was outstanding as Greta. She has some amazing scenes coming up in the fall that were mesmerizing and compelling. 

I was not impressed with the Pollocks. I liked their work from 1970 to late 1973 but then they lost me. I liked the Dan Allison story but they also turn another current character into a deranged villain. It was a shame to see such an interesting character ruined for the sake of a plot. 

• Members

Yeah...the Pollocks destroyed two possible long term antagonists dr john Morrison and Dr Dan Allison.  They had some strong years and not so strong years (they writing off Margo...a wonderful anti heroine was when I knew they'd burned out).

I'm really dreading the arrival of Marland..from what I hear..it will be in  mid to late September.  He can craft a good plot, but his dialogue leaves a lot to be desired and his shows always leave me cold instead of excited.

Love or hate her, but Depriest and her script writers took the excitement that The Pollocks were known for..and were able to infuse the characters with some depth (not quite to rita Lakin levels..but there are some mountains few can climb).

The reason Marland did so well on GH was because that soap was more about community , etc.  The Doctors was more about passion, competition, angst and fury (Nick Bellini alone had that lol).

• Members

I’m head over heels in love with Rico! It amazes me he didn’t stay longer. Such good chemistry with Nick and it’s nice seeing Nick with something different. The other aspect of the story is Julie and her growing obsession with Rico. I know in jusr a few weeks Julie will be dead which feels short sighted. This story seems like it could have legs. All the actors work beautifully together. Even Martha and Rico are so cute together. She brings a softer side out of him. 

• Members

I’ve finally reached the Pollocks material. Not much of a difference so far, they’re still dealing with Rico and the fallout of Julie’s death. Two quick changes are bringing Cathy more to the forefront and Althea is back, although not in Madison. I’ll admit to being worried about seeing Althea. The character was so draining that I’m not sure I trust how she’ll be written. Nick has been so delightful with Rico and Stella and her return has potential to drag him down again. They’ve become such a toxic couple. 

• Members

You'll be noticing a big difference very soon. The Pollocks introduce using flashbacks and recaps of scenes from the previous episode. It didn't bother me at first but quickly wore on me. I recall there were at times five-minute-long flashbacks.

I loved this version of Cathy. Carol Pfander was outstanding in the role.