The Doctors

• Members

Paul Carr who is playing Dr. Paul Summers was a fantastic actor. He did a lot of TV series and films. A lot of the time he was cast as bad guys, but I have read he was one of the nicest guys in real life. He was on Y&R at one point playing Victor's lawyer during his divorce from Nikki. 

One role Carr did that was hilarious was an episode of Get Smart. They were doing a take off of the Raymond Burr series Ironside and Paul played the side kick of Leadside. He was rolling him around in his wheel chair during a sword fight scene....LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And that's really sad when you think about how she was when she first arrived.  But I guess that was an issue for TD: no matter who was HW'ing at the moment, they never seemed to know what to do with a character who wasn't nucking futs.

• Members

I truly think she was always crazy under the surface.. it's just that the Pollocks really didn't think to showcase this till near the end of their tenure.

So far, I like the current head-writer with the introduction of the heir apparent to Dr. John Morrison in the form of Dr. Paul Summers.  He is fascinating especially when he is seen talking to his cat.  He has an ax to grind against Matt Powers due to circumstances surrounding the death of his late wife (suicide), and the cat/mouse games with Ann.. and his seemingly toxic new interaction with resident nut Stacy (who reminds him of his late wife).  Plus, the way he is charming Mona to be on the hospital board to 'help' Matt.  It will be fascinating to see how Douglas Marland finishes this story when he takes over.

I also like all the anvils in regards to Joan Dancy's coma story.. with a right to die/life argument being started.. and hints of Jerry Dancy wishing Joan would just die.  I know what ends up happening, but it's fascinating seeing all the hints/anvils of this story.

In regards to Jada Rowlands... I don't know... I've heard its by the end of 1976, others say in 1977... but we shall soon see.

• Members

I have been impressed with what I have seen of Paul Carr so far. Not so much the character or the writing but his delivery and overall take on the character.

Ann in her Mrs Lomax disguise looked like Linda Richman

Image result for linda richmanWhy do soap disguised always consist of fake looking wigs and glasses?

There appears to be a new hospital set but it has yet to be shown in full. Maybe while it is being constructed they've had to avoid any scenes at the nurses station.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that even when episodes are not set at the hospital, they will show various nurses/staff on that set in the credits.

Why pay for extras if that is all they will be used for?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

But I look at it as a slow descent into madness if anything. We've always known that she wanted Steve. I can believe that she's gone nuts for the man she's always wanted. I find it entertaining and farfetched. I now see why old Doctors fans (the few I've interacted with) loved this arc so much. 

I'm love the arc with Jerry and his mother as well. Just good old fashioned human emotions & family conflict. I'm eager to see how Lew, Sara, and Nola will fit into the mold when they all arrive too.

• Members

I don't know. I don't see Ann as being mad, like what the Pollocks did with Kathy Ryker. She just seems to have morphed into a vindictive evil schemer. It kind of reminds me what Marland later did with Barbara Ryan on As the World Turns. Tired of being everyone's doormat, Barbara transformed herself. 

I understand that Nola is about to debut -- probably within the next week of episodes.

• Members

Watching this weeks worth of episodes with Ann and Paul scheming(which I love), with Stacey high on drugs and wanting have sex with Rico,  this definitely isn't the same show it was under the Pollocks! I do find Margaret DePriest's tenure entertaining, but it is lacking a few things as well. Watching these episodes, its similar to the way I felt about B&E being at GL in the late 90s. 

• Members

I do agree the show is missing something, perhaps an emotional depth that we havent seen on the show since the 1967 to 1969 episodes.

With that said, I find that the script qriters have been good..some better than others (one of the script writers lee zlotoff created Macgyver in the 80s)..  when I watch an episode and like how the episode is written/structured..I find that the script writer for the day is always Lainie Bertram (who was a script writer for oltl in the 80s).

Script writers can make a show better...but Cenedella used script qriters during his 6 month stint and I found his 6 month stint almost a chore to watch.

• Members

I’ve picked the show back up in January 1970. I left off when Liz was still kidnapped and skipped forward because that story bored me and I blame that for me lapsing in viewership. I feel like I picked a good spot to pick up. Althea and Nick are getting divorced and Nick knows she cheated with Steve. I really am enjoying Virginia Vestoff as Althea. It’s easy to enjoy her knowing it won’t last so it’s just a nice change of pace. She’s beautiful and just as good as she was on Dark Shadows. 

Im surprised that Anna is still around. I believe this is her last year and she’ll be missed. Her friendship with Liz and Carolee is fun to watch. Speaking of Carolee, she is delightful. There is just something about her that is different from other soap characters and actors and I feel like I could watch her even in the worst of stories. Right now they’re dealing with a paper found in Carolee’s office with a list of coded abortions. 

The one big difference I see are all the interns. I’d heard of Kathy because Nancy Barrett played her and the original actress is around. She’s pretty forgettable so far since the focus has been on Julie. I’m curious when she’ll come into focus and of course can’t wait for Nancy to arrive! Julie is a blast so far. I’m not sure what the consensus was on her but I’m a fan. 

All in all my return to the show has has been fun! I watched an entire month in a weeks time. I know the Pollocks arrive soon so I’m looking forward to that writing change. Nobody will ever top Rita Lakin here but they lasted long enough I imagine it must be good. 

• Members

When you refer to Kathy, do you mean the student nurse who is one of Carolee’s charges? Another is Linda Buckley. If so, that’s not Kathy Ryker, the role Nancy Barrett will play. It’s a different Kathy. Kathy Ryker shows up around May 1970 and is played by Carol Pfander. Carol is delightful as the scheming nurse and, in my opinion, is the best Kathy Ryker.

Rumor has is that all the student nurses and new characters were slated for the proposed spinoff.

• Members

Nola Dancy officially debuted in today's episodes of The Doctor.  She's very rough around the edges, tough, and instantly you know she wants to be better than the humble background with which she is raised.  Instant tension between Jerry and Nola.. with Jerry resentful that he's been left to hold the bag in regards to watching over their comatose sister and worrying over their mother.  I will be intrigued to see the journey Nola travels to go from the rough around the edges character we saw in her first episode to her later episodes.