The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, David O'Brien as Dr. Steve Aldrich stayed until the final episode in 1982 (as did Jim Pritchett and Lydia Bruce as the Drs. Powers). Meg Mundy (Mona Aldrich Croft), who returned to the show in summer 1975 (which means we will be seeing her very soon in the rerun cycle) also stayed until 1982. Liz Hubbard was written out of the show in spring 1977, but returned as Althea in early 1981 and stayed through the series finale. Carolee Campbell left of her own accord in March 1976, and the character of Carolee was recast with Jada Rowland. She, too, stayed to the end in 1982.

• Members

Isn't much of what we are currently seeing (or 76?) around the same time ratings were declining? Having done some reading much of the expansion of other soaps had some effect on TD's ratings. Later on many of the cast changes, a revolving door of writers, and later on time slot changes put the final nail in the coffin. 

• Members

"Mike stayed around, albeit with several different faces. Luke and Nola and Barney Dancy were pretty much on till the end as were Greta and Billy. So there was some consistency along with  the changes."

Wasn't Billy murdered?  I know that Judith Howard (Judy Collins) was giving condolences to David O'Brien's character after someone had died.

• Members

Yes, he was murdered and there was bit of a mystery surrounding his death. I think it was a major mistake to kill off another Aldrich(of course he's not Aldrich by blood). 

I'm liking the slow burn of Mike's return to Madison. For all their faults, I think the Pollocks were masters at build up. 

• Members

I get so tickled watching that little schemer Penny.  You can see where Newhart's Stephanie got her roots.  It also kind of blows my mind when I think of Lucinda as Stephanie's mother.  I wonder if Julia and Liz have kept in touch over the years, would love to see them reunited in something.

Between TD and the occasional  Petticoat Junction rerun, good grief, were those of you who were around back then driven batty by all those musical interludes??

• Members

I didn't realize Mike and Alan are cousins.

Maybe it's just in my market, but have any of you noticed how LOUD RetroTV is compared to other channels? I scramble for the remote to turn down the volume before the orchestra rings out the opening theme.  No shade intended but I wonder if it's purposely loud given the presumably older viewership.