• Members
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

July 25 1964

Fans Kept Her From Being Killed By Script Writers

When a character on a serial drama becomes too lovable to write out of the script, what can you do? That's the dilemma which veteran veteran actress Ruth McDevitt presented presented to the producer of NBC-TV's The Doctors (Monday through Friday, 2:30 p.m. on channels 4 and 5). First of all, you call the lady's agent and find out if she is signed for a Broadway play in the fall. When she is (as Miss McDevitt is signed to star in "The Absence of a Cello"), you agree to write around her for many a long week provided she will return from time to time.

Ruth McDevitt signed to play Mrs. McMurtrie, an elderly Irish housekeeper for Chaplain Sam Shafer. The lovable lady of the script was supposed to expire of a kidney ailment but the warmth of the on-the-air relationship relationship with the chaplain drew so much appreciative fan mail, that neither the producer (Jerry Layton) nor the writer could bear to eliminate dear Mrs. McMurtrie. She survived her kidney kidney operation and after a few weeks returned to her duties as the chaplain's housekeeper. The chaplain is portrayed by Fred J. Scollay, whom the actress holds in high regard. "Fred is a very good actor," she says. "But then in daytime television you've GOT to be fast, accurate and good. They don't have time to fool around with people who have to try things a dozen ways before they're right. Some of the best acting on television is done in the daytime."I think many actors make a bad mistake if they look down their noses at daytime drama. It's a great mistake."

Although Mrs. McMurtrie is a woman of impeccable behavior, Miss McDevitt often plays ladies ladies who are somewhat less inhibited. "In my new play," she points out, "I will be seen as an elderly elderly lady named Emma Littlewood who drinks, swears and gambles... but she IS a lady, despite that." Miss McDevitt wagged her head and said firmly, "Don't underestimate Mrs. McMurtrie. She may not drink, smoke and gamble, but I think she is more than a meddlesome old woman in a daytime serial. She's a simple honest woman of keen insight who feels too much responsibility responsibility toward human nature. The only reason she seems meddlesome, I guess,' is that she tries to get everything fixed up for everybody before her life span runs out. I like Mrs. McMurtrie."

Other people like Mrs. McMurtrie too, as the fan mail arriving at Studio 3B in New York's RCA Building amply indicates. "So glad to see you," writes a fan who has enjoyed Miss Mc-Devitts work on Alfred Hitchcock's Hitchcock's nighttime TV show. "I've always enjoyed your work," wrote another woman who recalled recalled Miss McDevitt as Mrs. Gamadge the national commit-teewoman, in the Broadway production production of "The Best Man."

Image result for ruth mcdevitt