The Doctors

• Members

Getting into October 1972, and JESUS, what a delicious, savage BITCH Mona is! I love that her revenge for Steve and Carolee keeping a secret from her was to reveal a secret Steve kept from Carolee. Steve thought he was untouchable, but he thought wrong!

I'm so happy they've built the show so much to include more characters and storylines because the constant back-and-forth between Nick and Althea, while played so well by GG and EH, gets so old when it's the main thing on the screen. Putting them in this mess with John and Cathy has breathed new life into their story, though. All of the Vito/Toni/Barbara stuff is also giving a new flavor to the show. Loved Vito's Aunt Maria.

I love Billy. He's that rare thing, a decent child actor on a soap. He naturally fits into the role, and you can tell he actually thought critically about his character and wasn't just there to read lines and be a set piece. I think I've read that he's going to be around for a good few years? Can't wait to see how they write the character's coming of age.

As much as I've watched on and off since it hit Retro, I have to say that this is the best I've seen of the show, and I'm going to definitely keep tuning in. I still would love to have time to go back and watch more of the late 60s to get more of a taste of the show's tone/atmosphere in that period, but I'm good with just going forward from here.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does the character of Dr. Cliff De Sales played by Thomas Connolly amount to anything ?  Mona wants him to become partners with Ann and Steve in a medical practice. Cliff came into the picture when he became Cathy's doctor and he told her about the dead fetus. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the photo and the year, it is a bit sad I watch the old episodes from 1973 and there are so few people I recognize in the picture half of them are kids. 

I love that Lydia and Jim are in the center as they should be, but am not fan of the mustache. How long did Jim have it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

MeTV used that pic on their website in a "Do you know this old cancelled soap?" game. It took me way longer than it should have to guess Doctors because outside of Matt, Maggie, Steve, and Mona, I don't think ANY of those people were on the show just five years earlier, and Jada Rowland doesn't count. I'm still keeping up with the reruns, slowly but surely, but I know it's gonna be pretty painful to watch it transform from a pretty consistent show from 1967 to 1976ish and then change drastically. I hope Retro keeps it around long enough for us to see.

• Members

This isn't a real spoiler, but I was amused by the credits from those episodes in early 1982. Why because only Althea is listed with her medical title? Was this the norm or just a strange fluke? Also what was interesting was that these episodes were done by Harding Lemay.