The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bit of a spoiler, they didn't know what to do with Althea after Penny left again. Marland was rearranging the show based on the two major families: the Powers and the Aldriches, and Althea didn't have a spot in that reorganization according to this one magazine I have from that era. (One of the few I have pre-1980.)

• Members

I hate the way Steve keeps defending Mona and her treatment of Carolee. Mona clearly thinks Carolee is beneath them in social class and is calling Ann on the phone. She's lucky Carolee doesn't go ape crap and catch her napping and give her an injection or hold a pillow over her freaking face. 

• Members

Yes, he was the one who wrote Althea out. In the interview that Carl referenced in this thread, Marland also described how Liz would frequently rewrite dialogue, which apparently didn't sit well with the scribe. He also complained about Julia Duffy leaving the role of Penny so abruptly and said that it was very unprofessional since he and the show had invested a lot of time in the character and had major story planned for her. I guess once Penny left, the feeling was there was no room for Althea.

I remember reading that interview and feeling dismayed about Marland's opinions of the show. He felt it needed to be retooled to focus on family. Hence, the show focused on the Powers, Aldrich, and Dancy families. Reading that article, I got the impression that Marland truly didn't understand the concept of The Doctors.