AMC: Mad Men

Cat

• Members

I am just discovering this show, up to episode 4 of Season 1. I had read about how brilliant it is and I have to admit that I truly think so too. There seems to be a coldness to it, but I think that's a deliberate effort to portray the coldness of the era, or the lives that the characters themselves are living. I know I might get yelled at for this, but the show often reminds me of The Young and the Restless. The extremely slow pace, the interchanging focus between corporate drama and family drama, the meetings, the affairs, it all seems so reminiscent of William J. Bell. Crisp production values, great characterization, great dialogue.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO I was not interested in the first season at all...Too much of Peter was a complete turn off for me.

I'm mid way through the second season and I can't get enough of it. There were times in the first season where I was willing to say ,"This show is not for me."

The show reminds me of the Sopranos which premiered with lots of critical acclaim but was slow paced the first season. But with enough marathons and advertisement the show caught on for the second season and people were willing to get into it.

There were moments when I thought the show was trend following television, and I hate the idea of "trendy tv".

• Members

Peter bugged me from the beginning....The character is all too familiar where I work....That guy who's not talented but talks enough game to look like he belongs. That character, that co-worker, could be you, or maybe not. Watching him from the beginning made me want to crawl out of my skin, and I only enjoyed him when Don Draper was putting him in his place.

Season Two hooks you, but it's not because of the pace. It's the balance of every character and the amount of time you get with each. I'm really invested at this point in favorite character's happiness and less watching and studying them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I just finished watching the season 1 and 2........I don't hate the show.....but there's not enough drama for me. There were hardly any moments where I went, "Wow, that was amazing." I do like the actors and some of the characters - I didn't have a problem with that.

I'm gonna have to dump this show - no season 3 for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived