AMC: Mad Men

Cat

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I may be guilty as charged, although I despise reality tv. I've put this on my DVR and I've watched every Season 2 episode. I find it very intriguing but I haven't really decided that I like it! I've had a really weird reaction to it. But I can't wait to see the next episode even though I am not sure I am enjoying it.

LOL! I hated that. I just cringed. Peggy crossed a line and there's no turning back. Even today, women have to balance this fine line. I loved the advice the secretary gave her . . . something to the effect that "you can't be one of them". Women tend to almost become gender neutral in business. So much negotiation is conducted on the golf course or in strip clubs or other types of male bonding rituals from which women are excluded, that remains the last bastion of sexism. And it is exceedingly difficult to maintain your professionalism and your feminity simultaneously. Peggy went from being a gender neutral professional who was being judged based on her performance, although prohibited from participating in all activities that impacted her performance, to glaringly pointing out to all of her colleagues and (even worse) the client that she is first and foremost a woman. The client responded by pulling her into his lap!!!! She'll never be taken seriously again.

• Members

Last nights show was great...Loved seeing more of Salvadore's storyline and i like that he has a crush on his coworker...Its so interesting seeing the gay angle play out on this show....You really feel bad for not only Salvadore, but his wife also...And was anyone else really surprised that Jimmy knew about Dick having an affair with his wife Bobbie? What a great moment having Jimmy lay the seeds of doubt in Betty's mind about a possible affair...

And finally, I loved the showdown between Joan and Jan..

• Members

I just finished watching the last episode and I need some clarification since I didn't watch the first season. Has all this stuff been revealed earlier? I mean like the flashback where Draper is selling used cars and the woman comes in and tells him he's not Don Draper? I feel sort of lost because it's like there are all these little bombshells going off here and there, but I don't know how they connect so are they just planting seeds for something to be further revealed down the way?

I love Jimmy! The way he called Draper out on who he really is was genius. And Betty throwing up all over the new car at the end was priceless.

Oh and one thing that was so simple yet so shocking is the way the Drapers didn't pick up any of their trash after their picnic. It's funny how those cultural differences in time really stand out. It was so flagrant and so unacceptable in today's environment, yet it clearly identified the different mentality of the 60's.

• Members

I loved her stuff on Buffy (tho it divides fans) and even liked her campy Point Pleasant--which was a flop. Otherwise to say she's worked at flops is kinda off--she was a major force at Grey's Anatomy 2 years back (even though I'm no fan :P ) and last year's PP, which was horrendously awful--she as also at Prison Break it's first half year, etc :P Creative comments are a diff thing ;)

ANyway I did my research :P and she IS a writer at Mad Men now and not involved with Grey's or PP this season. I say good for her for getting away from those shows

• Members

Like I said, all flops. Just admit it, Eric.

She had nothing to do with Grey's in terms of how that show developed etc., she had a totally wrong vison for B&S, Point was totally a flop etc.

And baaad for her for getting out of PP. Baaad.

And I say all this as a fan of hers.

Archived