Home and Away: Discussion Thread

• Members

Think that's Sam, so no he didnt. loved the early -mid 90s cast some great characters :D

1 thing you can always guarentee with H&A is a Cult will turn up every few Years,

Hope this One starts getting more intresting, imo they'll never top the Cult that Selina joined, amazing story and I think it was quite long running

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

newbies galore. The farm is inhabited by and entire new family.

don't see why Zac and Hannah can't get together. What is that to the twins? They are almost grown anyway. If Zac and Hannah split, they can always stay with Hannah and stay friends with Zac. Seems unfair for a young couple to be entirely held up in their lives on the basis of parenthood of 16 year old niece and nephew.

• Members

So, they've brought back the farm again?! I rarely watch H&A these days, but I try to keep up with what's going on on a general level.

How are Hannah and Zac related? I understand that Zac was Ethan's brother, and the twins were Ethan's kids, but how is Hannah related to them all?

I read an interesting post from an Aussie about a possible theory as to why H&A still brings in high ratings today. They said that it's b/c of the beach location, and that H&A is the only show to capitalise on the beach setting, which is a big part of the Aussie lifestyle, which is highly relateable for many. The show has dipped in quality over the years, and hasn't been that well written for a long time, and they believe the beach setting is a big pull for Australians. They also mentioned that H&A gets the hell promoted out of it, so viewers are constantly reminded of its existence. I thought this was an interesting take, and I do agree that the beach locale is probably a major reason why the show continues to command high ratings even during bad periods. Do other Australian's agree with this?

• Members

Hannah's late sister was married to Ethan so they're in laws. Her and Zac aren't related except for the Ethan connection.

I can see that. I think they go out of their way to make it the "quintessential" Aussie show and that includes playing up the beach and the laid back atmosphere. The beach is a huge part of Australian culture so they were very smart to capitalise on it and make it so that Summer Bay could be any Aussie small beach town. It's definitely gets the hell promoted out of. Home & Away stars are everywhere on the telly and its advertised all over the place. They also have a prime time slot which no doubt helps with their ratings.

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Members

Thanks for explaining the Hannah/Ethan/Zac connection.

Capitalising on the beach location and all the constant promotion has helped keep H&A alive, and will continue to do so. This is what Neighbours needed to happen, but Ten doesn't have the brains to work out heavy duty promotion would be good for them and the show (promos running constantly on Ten, not Eleven, as more people watch Ten).

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

That style was present (I think) throughout 1994-95, but that actual version, I think, is quite rare, as they revamped the credits in 1996. I've never seen the Irene/Donna shot, or solo Marilyn before, and I think that Shane/Angel shot was an update from their previous version.

Good find.