Home and Away: Discussion Thread

• Members

Both shows seem to be a bit of a back number in Australia now, from what I've read, but then I get the feeling they were usually more popular in the UK anyway. It does seem that H&A is now back over a million in Australia, which I guess is good?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Anything over a million is good in Australia, as their rating system is based on the 5 metropolitan cities - Sydney/Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane. I guess it's not as accurate as it could be, as anyone not in these cities doesn't get counted?

I'd say Neighbours has always been more popular in the UK than Oz, but probably more evenly matched during the 80s/early 90s. H&A has always been more popular in Oz, especially in comparison to Neighbours, and the ratings it gets in the UK now barely hit 1 million - the show lost a substantial amount of viewers in 2009, and has never recovered since - but the show continues to perform well in Oz. It's quite sad to see how far these shows have fallen in terms of public support, but I guess it's their own fault for churning out dire material during their latter years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So far, I'm enjoying Gypsy being back. I loved her in the 90s, and I'm loving her now. I quite like that she's causing friction for April, as Gypsy is oblivious to it. I like her scenes with Irene, Bianca, Colleen, and Liam - they have chemistry. I hope she's staying for a while to flesh all these relationships out. She's certainly a breath of fresh air.

I'm disappointed Miles is leaving, as he and Leah were just starting to work for me, and it feels like Leah is going to lose another guy and be left all alone again. It's starting to get to the point where it's a problem for her character. It's also sad that Sally's last family link will be gone from the show, but I'm not as fussed about that as others are. I think I'll miss him, as he is a little quirky and different from the other men on the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

No, that was Irene. Colleen in the town gossip and is mainly used for comedy filler.

I'm surprised, as I thought she would stick around for ever, but then she hasn't had much to do for a long time (although I'm not 100% sure on that as I don't watch the show that often), but I haven't read about any filler stuff with her for a year now.

This thread is definitely dead. I hadn't realized how far it had slipped down the list!

• Members

Irene is the one with the drinking problem- I remember when she first showed up to try and get her kids away from Pippa and she was a raging drunk. I think she's been recovering for a while now.

Anyway, I didn't even realise Colleen was still on the show; anytime I ever watch Home and Away, I never see her. I don't think she's been used as anything but the town busybody for years and years now.

I guess the only longtime people left are Alf, Irene, and Marilyn. I can't imagine the show without Alf and Irene.

• Members

As harsh as it may sound, I really don't think Colleen is a big loss to the show. Ever since I started watching Home and Away again in 2006, I've never seen the point of her. I rarely find her amusing and I don't think it's worth having a character there just for comic relief if you're not going to do anything dramatic eith her.

Celia would make a good replacement (if they do feel the need to replace her) - Colleen has always been a second rate Celia. I loved Celia because although she was like Colleen in some respects, she was never a laughing stock and was also able to take on serious storylines too. For me one of Home and Away's most memorable scenes involved Celia on Anzac Day recalling how she lost her fiance during the Vietnam war.

The show does seem to have improved quite a bit since 2011. Characters such as John and Gina are getting more screentime and not just filler, while Marilyn seems to have returned to form rather than the rather serious version we got of her from late 2010-2011. Unfortunately there seems to be no long-term plan for the character and although Roo is one of the best characters played by one of the most prestigious actors, she's stuck with Harvey who brings nothing to the show and they've now brought in his daughter!

I also think the Rivery Boys are much better without Charlie who seemed to hold Brax back in some respects. He has a lot of chemistry with Leah so I hope Steve Peacocke is still there when Ada comes back from maternity leave!

• 2 weeks later...